all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix in discussion on ycombinator hacker news
@ 2017-03-21 21:35 Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2017-03-21 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

In case you missed it: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13914260

* Re: guix in discussion on ycombinator hacker news
@ 2017-03-24  0:08 ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2017-03-24  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Can someone with an "ycombinator" account please answear to the message
at [[https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13914737]].

It's a common misunderstanding to think that the Linux-libre projeto
forbids loading non-free modules/drivers by user's request after the
kernel was installed. In fact, it's a *bug* that is very hard to fix due
to the way that the Linux kernel itself is made, as Alexandre Oliva,
member of Linux-libre project, states at
[[http://www.fsfla.org/ikiwiki/blogs/lxo/2013-11-08-linux-libre-interview-by-bruce-byfield.en.html]]
(when answering the question "Is there anything that the project wants
to do that it can't do now? In general, what are the future plans for
the project?").

Respectfully, Adonay.
--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com

* Re: guix in discussion on ycombinator hacker news
@ 2017-03-24  1:02   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2017-03-24  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: adfeno, guix-devel

Adonay,

On 24/03/17 01:08, Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
> Can someone with an "ycombinator" account please answear to the message
> at [[https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13914737]].

Promptly done. Reading the same myths over and over on HN annoys me.

I just pasted your answer in reply, since I learnt this fact from you,
somewhere, once, and wouldn't have anything to add. Hope that's all right.

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: guix in discussion on ycombinator hacker news
@ 2017-03-24  9:51     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-03-24  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> skribis:

> On 24/03/17 01:08, Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
>> Can someone with an "ycombinator" account please answear to the message
>> at [[https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13914737]].
>
> Promptly done. Reading the same myths over and over on HN annoys me.

There’s also the more general myth that Linux-libre is unusable on
today’s hardware that’s becoming annoying.

Ludo’.

* Re: guix in discussion on ycombinator hacker news
@ 2017-03-24 11:35     ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2017-03-24 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Thank you very much for answering in my place! :)

I do not follow "ycombinator" discussions, so *I won't look back* to that
discussion *unless called upon*.

But if, in the future, you find some strange comment, or some comment
for which you're having a difficult time answering: don't hesitate to
bring it to attention to this list or privately (if you want to).

Happy hacking! :)

* Re: guix in discussion on ycombinator hacker news
@ 2017-03-26 11:58       ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-03-26 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adonay Felipe Nogueira; +Cc: guix-devel

Adonay Felipe Nogueira transcribed 0.4K bytes:
> Thank you very much for answering in my place! :)
>
> I do not follow "ycombinator" discussions, so *I won't look back* to that
> discussion *unless called upon*.
>
> But if, in the future, you find some strange comment, or some comment
> for which you're having a difficult time answering: don't hesitate to
> bring it to attention to this list or privately (if you want to).
>

> Happy hacking! :)

Hi adfeno,

could you please explain what you explained somewhere, sometime about
this? The interview item is not enough to understand it.

* Re: guix in discussion on ycombinator hacker news
@ 2017-03-31 18:25         ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2017-03-31 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

About the request for explaining the issue/bug with Linux-libre in more
detail:

I would love to do it myself, however, I don't have the technical
expertise to dive into technical details and source code in order to
explain it more technically.

I could eventually come up with an article, but to do it alone would be
a steep learning curve, specially for a non-developer. :)

Respectfully, Adonay.
--

@ 2017-03-31 18:32           ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-03-31 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adonay Felipe Nogueira; +Cc: guix-devel

Adonay Felipe Nogueira transcribed 1.1K bytes:
> About the request for explaining the issue/bug with Linux-libre in more
> detail:
>
> I would love to do it myself, however, I don't have the technical
> expertise to dive into technical details and source code in order to
> explain it more technically.
>
> I could eventually come up with an article, but to do it alone would be
> a steep learning curve, specially for a non-developer. :)
>

> Respectfully, Adonay.

Hi,

any explanation at all would be good, it doesn't have to be technical or
correct. Right now I'm at the point where I assume nothing and you seem
to know something.