all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#16484: Contradictory package count
@ 2014-01-18 12:00 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-01-18 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 16484

Hello,

installing a few packages, I get the following output:

building profile '/nix/store/ylq6xn1599wfph4n6caw7kdd5wds4x9n-profile' with 65 packages......
51 packages in profile

The difference is, I think, that I consciously installed 51 packages, while
the remaining 14 ones are pulled in as propagated-inputs. Could the output be
made uniform, in either sense?

Andreas

* bug#16484: Contradictory package count
@ 2014-01-18 15:39 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-01-18 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: 16484

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> installing a few packages, I get the following output:

> building profile '/nix/store/ylq6xn1599wfph4n6caw7kdd5wds4x9n-profile' with 65 packages......
> 51 packages in profile
>
> The difference is, I think, that I consciously installed 51 packages, while
> the remaining 14 ones are pulled in as propagated-inputs.

Exactly.

> Could the output be made uniform, in either sense?

The issue is that the ‘65 packages’ lines comes from the build side log
(which doesn’t know the distinction between propagated inputs and the
rest), while the ‘51 packages’ line comes from ‘guix package’.

Perhaps the log should say ‘65 items’, to make it clear it’s not
counting the same thing.

Alternately, we could also remove that line altogether.

WDYT?

Ludo’.

* bug#16484: Contradictory package count
@ 2014-01-23 19:39   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-01-23 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: 16484

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 04:39:06PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> The issue is that the ‘65 packages’ lines comes from the build side log
> (which doesn’t know the distinction between propagated inputs and the
> rest), while the ‘51 packages’ line comes from ‘guix package’.
>
> Perhaps the log should say ‘65 items’, to make it clear it’s not
> counting the same thing.
>
> Alternately, we could also remove that line altogether.

Maybe we could remove both lines even? But I am happy with removing only
one, then preferably the "65 packages" one, which is not coherent with
   guix package -I|wc

Andreas

* bug#16484: Contradictory package count
@ 2014-01-24 21:11     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-01-24 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: 16484-done

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 04:39:06PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> The issue is that the ‘65 packages’ lines comes from the build side log
>> (which doesn’t know the distinction between propagated inputs and the
>> rest), while the ‘51 packages’ line comes from ‘guix package’.
>>
>> Perhaps the log should say ‘65 items’, to make it clear it’s not
>> counting the same thing.
>>
>> Alternately, we could also remove that line altogether.
>
> Maybe we could remove both lines even? But I am happy with removing only
> one, then preferably the "65 packages" one, which is not coherent with
>    guix package -I|wc

I removed the “wrong” one, and kept the other.

Thanks!

Ludo’.