Hi, Reading Chris' report, I was inspired to try the same thing on EC2. I don't know much about Linode or Rackspace, but I do know EC2. I'm happy to report that I was successfully in creating a GuixSD EC2 instance. Here's what I did. Essentially, all I wanted to do was run "guix system init" on the root device of an EC2 instance. I accomplished that by running "guix system init" on a loopback device (on my laptop), copying the file which backed the loopback device onto an EC2 instance, writing the file to an EBS volume attached to the instance, and then replacing the EC2 instance's root EBS volume with the newly written EBS volume. Here are the steps I took, in detail. Hopefully it's clear enough for someone else to try it out if they want to. (From the AWS Management Console) * Launch an instance. I used an EBS-backed Ubuntu AMI using HVM virtualization in the us-west-2 region. This one: ami-cbd276ab. It needs to be EBS-backed because I want to be able to detach and attach the volumes easily; it needs to be HVM virtualization because that way it will boot using the GRUB I will install in the GuixSD system's root device (paravirtualized EC2 instances follow a different boot process). In the web UI, before launching the instance, I removed the ephemeral storage from it (since I didn't need it), and I added an extra 30 GiB EBS volume (this will become the GuixSD system's root device). I also gave the instance a name tag to keep track of it in the AWS Management Console. I used an m3.medium type instance, since that is the smallest type which would give me consistent performance. Here's a quick link to launch the AMI I used: https://console.aws.amazon.com/ec2/home?region=us-west-2#launchAmi=ami-cbd276ab (On my local computer) * Generate a hashed password for use in the operating system config (see "(guile) Encryption" for details). Here, the password is 57HdiXRftjV55zpXh5k3 (don't worry, I've changed it :-)): --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--- scheme@(guile-user)> (crypt "57HdiXRftjV55zpXh5k3" "$1$JoT5zkpN") $2 = "$1$JoT5zkpN$1CEM/T/UZ5a4nP1Kh8QoZ/" scheme@(guile-user)> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8--- * Make the following changes to the "bare-bones" operating system configuration file that comes with Guix (gnu/system/examples/bare-bones.tmpl), in order to enable remote login using that password: