Ludovic Courtès writes: >> The question would have been why >> >> (format-string #f ("Package variant ~a is not translatable" x)) > > Strings are not applicable. You probably meant: > > (G_ "Foo ~a bar") Sorry, I don't know where the extra parens came from in hasty mail. (I was Scheming around the time of T...) What I meant was something like (description (format-string #f "Package variant ~a is not translatable" x)) Anyhow, thanks for the explanation in the new doc which clears the confusion I had. I don't understand the mechanism, but I guess it's not worth researching. Here's a revised patch.