all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ibus in GuixSD
@ 2018-08-07 10:59 Robert Offner
From: Robert Offner @ 2018-08-07 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I'm having a few issues getting ibus working properly in GuixSD. I'm unsure
I've have to package the layout I want myself (just an Esperanto layout
using x-sistemo) but I can't find any package for it, so before doing this
I decided to take a look at how ibus-libpinyin does it. Unfortunately after
installing ibus-libpinyin (and ibus-anthy), I can't seem to find it in the
layouts known to ibus-settings. Is there an environment variable I need to
set that I simply forgot to?

-Probie

* Re: ibus in GuixSD
@ 2018-08-07 13:29 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-08-07 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludvikgalois; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Robert,

> I'm having a few issues getting ibus working properly in GuixSD. I'm unsure
> I've have to package the layout I want myself (just an Esperanto layout
> using x-sistemo) but I can't find any package for it, so before doing this
> I decided to take a look at how ibus-libpinyin does it. Unfortunately after
> installing ibus-libpinyin (and ibus-anthy), I can't seem to find it in the
> layouts known to ibus-settings. Is there an environment variable I need to
> set that I simply forgot to?

ibus-libpinyin works for me.  I have these relevant environment
variables set:

    GTK_DATA_PREFIX=/run/current-system/profile
    GUIX_GTK2_IM_MODULE_FILE=/home/rekado/.guix-profile/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules-gtk2.cache
    GUIX_GTK3_IM_MODULE_FILE=/home/rekado/.guix-profile/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules-gtk3.cache
    IBUS_COMPONENT_PATH=/home/rekado/.guix-profile/share/ibus/component
    GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
    QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
    XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus

I installed the packages “ibus” and “ibus-libpinyin” in my user
profile.  I start the ibus daemon with

    ibus-daemon --xim &

Also make sure to remove ~/.cache/ibus once in a while, because it
retains exact references to store items that may no longer
exist.  (That’s a bug.)

--
Ricardo

* Re: ibus in GuixSD
@ 2018-08-15 12:18   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2018-08-15 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: ludvikgalois, help-guix

Hello,

> Hi Robert,
>
>> I'm having a few issues getting ibus working properly in GuixSD. I'm unsure
>> I've have to package the layout I want myself (just an Esperanto layout
>> using x-sistemo) but I can't find any package for it, so before doing this
>> I decided to take a look at how ibus-libpinyin does it. Unfortunately after
>> installing ibus-libpinyin (and ibus-anthy), I can't seem to find it in the
>> layouts known to ibus-settings. Is there an environment variable I need to
>> set that I simply forgot to?
>
> ibus-libpinyin works for me.  I have these relevant environment
> variables set:
>
>     GTK_DATA_PREFIX=/run/current-system/profile
>     GUIX_GTK2_IM_MODULE_FILE=/home/rekado/.guix-profile/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules-gtk2.cache
>     GUIX_GTK3_IM_MODULE_FILE=/home/rekado/.guix-profile/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules-gtk3.cache
>     IBUS_COMPONENT_PATH=/home/rekado/.guix-profile/share/ibus/component
>     GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
>     QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
>     XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus

I tried the above, but it didn't work for me. The only thing which works
reliably is (which is in my ~/.bash_profile):

# ibus
# source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBus
export IBUS_COMPONENT_PATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/share/ibus/component${IBUS_COMPONENT_PATH:+:}$IBUS_COMPONENT_PATH"
export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
export QT_IM_MODULE=xim

Note that this configuration is deemed wrong by ibus' maintainer:
https://github.com/ibus/ibus/issues/2020

My daemon is started in my ~/.ratpoisonrc file like this:

exec ibus-daemon --xim

I've used ibus-setup to configure my input method to Anthy and US -
dvorak for now, and I've configured the shortcut to switch between those
to be Super + Space.

Maxim