This was a surprisingly deep rabbit hole that ended pretty unsatisfactory with commit 51d42caa94515f43d677bdd76d53bf8bb8c7bc4e. According to a comment in the package definition, the tests were never supposed to run, so in the end they were just disabled. I discovered a pattern that I hadn't seen yet in the Python ecosystem: orator and many of its dependencies are no longer using setup.py. Instead they have a file called pyproject.toml and calls out to a tool called "poetry" to create distribution tarballs, run tests, etc; and it apparently also creates a setup.py for the PyPI distribution. I did not study poetry enough to figure out how it works, but we might need a poetry-build-system or some such if the trend continues. Mainly because all packages using it seem to be stripping tests from the PyPI release! :-/