all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#45627: Disabling static libraries by default?
@ 2021-01-03 15:13 Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2021-01-03 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 45627

Guix,

One-liners like this[0] one are about as fun to commit as they are
to see spam up your -commits@ mailbox, and make me wonder why we
don't pass ‘--disable-static’ (&c. for other build systems) by
default in the absence of a :static output.  Has this been
discussed and rejected?

Guix plays so poorly with static linkage that I'm surprised we
keep these things lying around at all, like rakes to step on one
fun day.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=c2c954afb2df5b9926f52b5c14d0213827e3401f

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#45627: Disabling static libraries by default?
@ 2021-01-06 11:00 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-01-06 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 45627

Hi!

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Bug reports for GNU Guix <bug-guix@gnu.org>
skribis:

> One-liners like this[0] one are about as fun to commit as they are to
> see spam up your -commits@ mailbox, and make me wonder why we don't
> pass ‘--disable-static’ (&c. for other build systems) by default in
> the absence of a :static output.  Has this been discussed and
> rejected?

I don’t think it’s been discussed but I think it’s a good idea!

Hand-written ‘configure’ script will fail when passed
‘--disable-static’, but hopefully those already have a custom phase
because of the other flags we pass by default.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* bug#45627: Disabling static libraries by default?
@ 2021-01-10 19:17   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-01-10 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: 45627

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Bug reports for GNU Guix <bug-guix@gnu.org>
> skribis:
>
>> One-liners like this[0] one are about as fun to commit as they are to
>> see spam up your -commits@ mailbox, and make me wonder why we don't
>> pass ‘--disable-static’ (&c. for other build systems) by default in
>> the absence of a :static output.  Has this been discussed and
>> rejected?

Seconded, and +1 for humor.

Maxim