all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz>
To: Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>,
	Antonio Carlos Padoan Junior <acpadoanjr@yahoo.com.br>
Cc: Mikhail Kryshen <mikhail@kryshen.net>, guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: emacs tramp in remote guix
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 10:52:35 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello everyone,

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:
> I think that ideally, the tramp package in Guix would be patched to
> recognise ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile and /etc/profile (when present,
> on the remote machine) and use that to determine the PATH for the
> remote machine (or some other system, whatever works) .
>
> Thne tramp would work out-of-the-box, without having to consult a
> cookbook or manual and without having to know that this information is
> located there.
>
> Greetings,
> Maxime.

Unfortunately, this would only work for Guix-to-Guix tramp connections.
I think the generic 'tramp-own-remote-path is better suited for this, as
it uses the login shell of the target user to find the proper PATH,
something that is much more robust than TRAMP's default (and works 100%
with Guix).  Maybe it could belong in a `Guix-specific application
setup tips` section in the cookbook or manual?

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret