Maxim Cournoyer writes: [...] > I like the 'Closes: ' trailer idea; it's simple. However, it'd need to > be something added locally, either the user typing it out (unlikely for > most contributors) or via some mumi wizardry (it's unlikely that all > users will use mumi), which means its usage (and value) would depend on > how motivated individuals are to learn these new tricks. I agree: the ratio, or better usecase, of my /trivial/ (in design, not in implementation) initial proposal [1] was to try to help committers closing bugs "in one go" by adding proper information to the commit message, e.g. "Closes: #NNNNN" It was _not_ intended for contributors, also because they could _not_ know that **specific** patch in a patch series will really close a **whole** bug report: that's only a judgement of the committer. Also, my ratio was influenced by my misunderstanding of a series of bug closing actions performed by Vagrant (see [1] for details): the problem in the majority (all?) of those cases was **not** that the committer simply forgot to close the related bug report /but/ that bug reports containing (different) patches for the _same_ package were not linked each other: the solution to this class of problems in obviously not "Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed", it's something else [2] > On the other hands, having Change-Ids added by a pre-commit hook > automatically would means the user doesn't need to do anything special > other than using git, and we could still infer useful information at any > time (in a server hook, or as a batch process). > > For this reason, I think we could have both (why not? Change-Ids by > themselves provide some value already -- traceability between our git > history and guix-patches). I agree: just having 'Change-Ids' alone already provide some added value, even if we still miss the tooling (server side git hook, batch processing Thanks! Gio' [1] id:8734zrn1sc.fsf@xelera.eu https://yhetil.org/guix/8734zrn1sc.fsf@xelera.eu/ [2] id:87msxyfhmv.fsf@xelera.eu https://yhetil.org/guix/87msxyfhmv.fsf@xelera.eu -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures