Ludovic Courtès writes: > Eric Bavier skribis: > >> I found an unfortunate bug in the last patch I made to >> patch-makefile-SHELL that would leave a trailing ' ' at the end of SHELL >> assignments. This is fine for most packages, but caused >> gobject-introspection to fail building for me just now (for the curious: >> it effectively does an "(apply system* (string-split (string-append SHELL >> " " "./libtool") #\space))" which causes sh to try to execute "") > > AFAIK trailing whitespace in assignments is ignored by ‘make’. > > I grepped gobject-introspection out of curiosity and couldn’t find any > suspicious SHELL assignment. Do you still have it around? E.g. gobject-introspection-1.38.0/giscanner/utils.py:124 > The (string=? args "\n") seems specific and non-obvious. I thought so too. Your suggestion does work. With this patch, I was able to bootstrap and build gobject-introspection.