taylanbayirli@gmail.com (Taylan Ulrich "Bayırlı/Kammer") writes: > These packages need to be used in a somewhat peculiar way: > > - install *both* mupen64plus-core and mupen64plus-ui-console in your > profile, > > - install all the plugins in your profile, > > - in your config file ($XDG_CONFIG_HOME/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg), > set Core/SharedDataPath to $guix_profile/share/mupen64plus, and set > UI-Console/PluginDir to $guix_profile/lib/mupen64plus, > > - specify your input/audio/video/rsp plugins of choice (for video, the > Glide64 ones work well for me, and the HLE one for RSP). > > That yields a working setup. I don't know if I can make it work any > better out of the box (without horrible hacks and/or substantial patches > to the C code) because the whole system seems to assume the existence of > a single "shared data" and a single "plugin" directory, so a user is > best served by installing all preferred mupen64plus-* packages into one > profile and then pointing the data and plugin directories there as > described above. In particular, the -core package needs to be installed > too (despite ui-console already closing over it) because it also > provides a data file without which some things don't work. I now tackled this problem the following way: - mupen64plus-ui-console is the recommended way to install mupen and propagates a basic set of plugins and the core library package (from which a data file is needed; the .so is referenced absolutely so that's not the reason), - the C code of the console UI gets a Guix-specific patch which prints a flashy notice for Guix users when no plugins are found, instructing the user to edit their config so and so. In the future I might provide some proper patches to the C code to take the directory paths from environment variables in addition to the existing mechanisms (CLI flag, .ini file, hardcoded system paths), but for now I think this is good enough. Comments welcome.