all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Starting user services at boot
@ 2017-02-12 19:54 Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-02-12 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Does anyone have advice about how to start an unprivileged user's
services when the system boots?

On other systems, I could at least invoke them in /etc/rc.local, but I'm
not sure how to do it on GuixSD.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Starting user services at boot
@ 2017-02-13  9:30 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-02-13  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Leo!

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> Does anyone have advice about how to start an unprivileged user's
> services when the system boots?
>
> On other systems, I could at least invoke them in /etc/rc.local, but I'm
> not sure how to do it on GuixSD.

Currently I run shepherd as myself, which reads from
~/.config/shepherd/init.scm.  It gets started from my ~/.xsession.

Admittedly this is a bit of a hack.  It wouldn’t be hard to define
per-user Shepherd instances as global Shepherd services in GuixSD, if
you see what I mean.

Another option would be to add support for this directly in the
Shepherd, which has pros and cons.

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Re: Starting user services at boot
@ 2017-02-13 12:37   ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-02-13 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

On 17-02-13 10:30:10, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi Leo!
>
> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:
>
> > Does anyone have advice about how to start an unprivileged user's
> > services when the system boots?
> >
> > On other systems, I could at least invoke them in /etc/rc.local, but I'm
> > not sure how to do it on GuixSD.
>
> Currently I run shepherd as myself, which reads from
> ~/.config/shepherd/init.scm.  It gets started from my ~/.xsession.
>
> Admittedly this is a bit of a hack.  It wouldn’t be hard to define
> per-user Shepherd instances as global Shepherd services in GuixSD, if
> you see what I mean.
>
> Another option would be to add support for this directly in the
> Shepherd, which has pros and cons.

What are the pros and cons from your point of view, could you explain this?

--
ng0 -- https://www.inventati.org/patternsinthechaos/

* Re: Starting user services at boot
@ 2017-02-13 14:01     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-02-13 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

ng0 <contact.ng0@cryptolab.net> skribis:

> On 17-02-13 10:30:10, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hi Leo!
>>
>> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:
>>
>> > Does anyone have advice about how to start an unprivileged user's
>> > services when the system boots?
>> >
>> > On other systems, I could at least invoke them in /etc/rc.local, but I'm
>> > not sure how to do it on GuixSD.
>>
>> Currently I run shepherd as myself, which reads from
>> ~/.config/shepherd/init.scm.  It gets started from my ~/.xsession.
>>
>> Admittedly this is a bit of a hack.  It wouldn’t be hard to define
>> per-user Shepherd instances as global Shepherd services in GuixSD, if
>> you see what I mean.
>>
>> Another option would be to add support for this directly in the
>> Shepherd, which has pros and cons.
>
> What are the pros and cons from your point of view, could you explain this?

The downside is that it would make the Shepherd more complex: it would
have to have a built-in notion of user instances, even though it is not
designed specifically to run as PID 1 initially (you can use it as an
unprivileged user already).

Another downside is that /var/run/shepherd/socket may need to be
accessible to users so they can talk to PID 1.  More generally, there’d
need to be some way to prevent unprivileged users from doing things like
running arbitrary code in PID 1.

The upside would be better integration: if shepherd knows about user
services, then it can show them in ‘herd status’, things like that.

(There’s a similar trade-off for the recently-added support for services
running in containers.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Starting user services at boot
@ 2017-02-15 11:14   ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2017-02-15 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Ludovic Courtès (2017-02-13 10:30 +0100) wrote:

> Hi Leo!
>
> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:
>
>> Does anyone have advice about how to start an unprivileged user's
>> services when the system boots?
>>
>> On other systems, I could at least invoke them in /etc/rc.local, but I'm
>> not sure how to do it on GuixSD.
>
> Currently I run shepherd as myself, which reads from
> ~/.config/shepherd/init.scm.  It gets started from my ~/.xsession.

I do the same but in ~/.bash-profile like this:

# Start shepherd if it is not already running.
[[ -z $(pgrep -U $(id --user) "^shepherd$") ]] \
    && shepherd &>> $HOME/.config/shepherd/shepherd.log

--
Alex