all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
To: Christina O'Donnell <cdo@mutix.org>
Cc: Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net>,
	 Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>,
	 Guix Devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>,
	70662@debbugs.gnu.org,  70663@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: Re: bug#70662: Problems building nss@3.98.0
Date: Tue, 21 May 2024 19:42:33 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi,

Christina O'Donnell <cdo@mutix.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On 08/05/2024 14:01, Christopher Baines wrote:
>> I think it would be nice to have a new release, and indeed release more
>> often, I think the way to get there is for less things to be broken
>> between releases, such that releasing takes less effort in terms of
>> testing and fixing things.
>>
>> To give some specific issues, I've run up against the recent issues with
>> nss [1][2] and I don't think we could release with the nss package as is
>> currently.
>>
>> 1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70662
>> 2: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70663
>
> I can fix these by disabling tests, but I would prefer if someone with
> more experience packaging for guix could make a decision on
> it. Otherwise, I don't have any problem reducing the number of tests
> and disabling all tests on PowerPC at least.
>
> I could also do some analysis if it was deemed necessary, inserting a
> patch to measure the timings of each test/cycle. Additionally, I could
> try packaging some of the versions between 0.88 and 0.98 to identify
> the exact change that could be to blame. However, both of these seem
> overkill, given the backlog of patches/issues we have left to get
> through, and the manpower we currently have to work with.
>
> Would any of that be helpful?

I just encountered the following single test failure building on
powerpc64le:

time certutil -K -d /tmp/guix-build-nss-3.99.0.drv-0/nss-3.99/tests_results/security/localhost.1/bigdir -f ../tests.pw
------------- time ----------------------
real 10.32 user 10.25 sys 0.07
10 seconds
dbtests.sh: #27: certutil dump keys with explicit default trust flags  - FAILED

with the summary:

SUMMARY:
========
NSS variables:
--------------
HOST=localhost
DOMSUF=localdomain
BUILD_OPT=
USE_X32=
USE_64=1
NSS_CYCLES=""
NSS_TESTS=""
NSS_SSL_TESTS="crl iopr policy normal_normal"
NSS_SSL_RUN="cov auth stapling signed_cert_timestamps scheme"
NSS_AIA_PATH=
NSS_AIA_HTTP=
NSS_AIA_OCSP=
IOPR_HOSTADDR_LIST=
PKITS_DATA=
NSS_DISABLE_HW_AES=
NSS_DISABLE_HW_SHA1=
NSS_DISABLE_HW_SHA2=
NSS_DISABLE_PCLMUL=
NSS_DISABLE_AVX=
NSS_DISABLE_ARM_NEON=
NSS_DISABLE_SSSE3=

Tests summary:
--------------
Passed:             79016
Failed:             1
Failed with core:   0
ASan failures:      0
Unknown status:     2
TinderboxPrint:Unknown: 2

error: in phase 'check': uncaught exception:
%exception #<&invoke-error program: "faketime" arguments: ("2024-01-23" "./nss/tests/all.sh") exit-status: 1 term-signal: #f stop-signal: #f>
phase `check' failed after 36124.0 seconds
command "faketime" "2024-01-23" "./nss/tests/all.sh" failed with status 1
builder for `/gnu/store/q3cqzzd4fg384lfmk91gd6higsyhs1nq-nss-3.99.0.drv' failed with exit code 1
@ build-failed /gnu/store/q3cqzzd4fg384lfmk91gd6higsyhs1nq-nss-3.99.0.drv - 1 builder for `/gnu/store/q3cqzzd4fg384lfmk91gd6higsyhs1nq-nss-3.99.0.drv' failed with exit code 1

So I'm not sure why, but the 'certutil dump keys with explicit default
trust flags' fails on powerpc64le and should probably be disabled.
Also, 36124 s, ouch!  #70950 should help for that.

Maxim