all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Installing the Xfce DE installs Unity
@ 2017-02-09 21:56 Niall Dooley
From: Niall Dooley @ 2017-02-09 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-Guix

I installed the Xfce (meta) package and on restarting the available DE
on the login screen are the default (Trisquel) Gnome and Unity.
Selecting Unity does indeed present a Unity session and not the
expected Xfce. Any ideas?

Niall

* Re: Installing the Xfce DE installs Unity
@ 2017-02-12  2:49 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-02-12  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niall Dooley; +Cc: Help-Guix

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 10:56:06PM +0100, Niall Dooley wrote:

Hi!

> I installed the Xfce (meta) package and on restarting the available DE
> on the login screen are the default (Trisquel) Gnome and Unity.
> Selecting Unity does indeed present a Unity session and not the
> expected Xfce. Any ideas?

Can you share the operating system configuration file you're using for
this system, so that I can try to reproduce the issue?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Installing the Xfce DE installs Unity
@ 2017-02-18 11:46   ` Niall Dooley
From: Niall Dooley @ 2017-02-18 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: Help-Guix

Hi Leo,

On 12 February 2017 at 03:49, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 10:56:06PM +0100, Niall Dooley wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
>> I installed the Xfce (meta) package and on restarting the available DE
>> on the login screen are the default (Trisquel) Gnome and Unity.
>> Selecting Unity does indeed present a Unity session and not the
>> expected Xfce. Any ideas?
>
> Can you share the operating system configuration file you're using for
> this system, so that I can try to reproduce the issue?

Excuse my ignorance - I don't believe I have one. I'm using Guix on a
*foreign *distro. Do I need to create one to use a DE installed via Guix?
Thanks for your patience.

@ 2017-02-18 15:37     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-02-18 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niall Dooley; +Cc: Help-Guix

Niall Dooley <dooleyn@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Leo,
>
> On 12 February 2017 at 03:49, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 10:56:06PM +0100, Niall Dooley wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>>> I installed the Xfce (meta) package and on restarting the available DE
>>> on the login screen are the default (Trisquel) Gnome and Unity.
>>> Selecting Unity does indeed present a Unity session and not the
>>> expected Xfce. Any ideas?
>>
>> Can you share the operating system configuration file you're using for
>> this system, so that I can try to reproduce the issue?
>
> Excuse my ignorance - I don't believe I have one. I'm using Guix on a
> *foreign *distro. Do I need to create one to use a DE installed via Guix?
> Thanks for your patience.

As far as I know we haven’t packaged Unity for Guix at all.  Unity is
unrelated to Xfce.  I’m not sure you can actually use Xfce from Guix on
a foreign distro.  On GuixSD using a desktop environment requires that
certain services are running.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net