all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* OSM tile server with Guix
@ 2019-02-23  5:44 swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-02-23  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi

I read up on how to setup a tile server with the least hassle. It is
quite a bit involved according to this guide:
https://switch2osm.org/manually-building-a-tile-server-18-04-lts/

I imagine this could be more fully automated with guix if we find a way
to run the pgsql-commands from guile and write the necessary services.

We have most of the bits and pieces already but I spotted a few that
were missing while reading and thought I would share them here:

* mod_tile (apache plugin) https://github.com/openstreetmap/mod_tile
* carto (uses npm and node) https://www.npmjs.com/package/carto (7
dependencies - at least 1 with a lot of dependencies (yargs))
* openstreetmap-carto (contain carto-css styles and a lua-script useful
for tag-transformation when loading pbf-files into a postgis database
with osm2pgsql and get-shapefiles.py a script to download low-zoom
country boundaries) https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/

This last one should perhaps be included in our osm2pgsql-package
because it is hard to imagine someone using one but not the other.

It seems we need a renderd-service also.

Thoughts?

--
Cheers Swedebugia

* Re: OSM tile server with Guix
@ 2019-02-23  8:26   ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-02-23  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2019-02-23 13:32, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> Hello,
>
> swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. febr. 23.,
> Szo, 12:03):

snip

>> * carto (uses npm and node) https://www.npmjs.com/package/carto (7
>> dependencies - at least 1 with a lot of dependencies (yargs))
>
> My usecases usually can be solved using hand-authored styles, but would be
> nice to have. (Carto usually created something very bloated for me)

Ok.

>> * openstreetmap-carto (contain carto-css styles and a lua-script useful
>> for tag-transformation when loading pbf-files into a postgis database
>> with osm2pgsql and get-shapefiles.py a script to download low-zoom
>> country boundaries) https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/
>>
>> This last one should perhaps be included in our osm2pgsql-package
>> because it is hard to imagine someone using one but not the other.
>
> I sometimes use osm2pgsql without any need for rendering, so when using
> the database not for rendering, but as a database, these functions are
> not needed.
> I would keep these separate. Wdyt?

Ok, I will add packaging openstreetmap-carto to my list.

Renderd comes with mod_tile.

* Re: OSM tile server with Guix
@ 2019-02-23 12:32 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-02-23 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. febr. 23.,
Szo, 12:03):

> Hi
>
> I read up on how to setup a tile server with the least hassle. It is
> quite a bit involved according to this guide:
> https://switch2osm.org/manually-building-a-tile-server-18-04-lts/
>
> I imagine this could be more fully automated with guix if we find a way
> to run the pgsql-commands from guile and write the necessary services.
>
> We have most of the bits and pieces already but I spotted a few that
> were missing while reading and thought I would share them here:
>
> * mod_tile (apache plugin) https://github.com/openstreetmap/mod_tile

Yes, that woul make sense.

> * carto (uses npm and node) https://www.npmjs.com/package/carto (7
> dependencies - at least 1 with a lot of dependencies (yargs))

My usecases usually can be solved using hand-authored styles, but would be
nice to have. (Carto usually created something very bloated for me)

> * openstreetmap-carto (contain carto-css styles and a lua-script useful
> for tag-transformation when loading pbf-files into a postgis database
> with osm2pgsql and get-shapefiles.py a script to download low-zoom
> country boundaries) https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/
>
> This last one should perhaps be included in our osm2pgsql-package
> because it is hard to imagine someone using one but not the other.

I sometimes use osm2pgsql without any need for rendering, so when using
the database not for rendering, but as a database, these functions are
not needed.
I would keep these separate. Wdyt?

> It seems we need a renderd-service also.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> Cheers Swedebugia

Best regards,