all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* xorg-configuration questions
@ 2019-04-06 21:12 John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-04-06 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hey all,

I love the idea of having one record for keyboard layout and I just
reconfigured my system with the new configuration but my settings won't
take. I've had issues with the old `extra-config` options in the past
(nothing worked then including the cst-trackball from below). Admittedly, I
am quite unfamiliar with xorg configuration of input devices so I can
imagine I may be doing something wrong. I've listed what I have so far
below. Note that the console keymap works properly. Also the auto-login
does not seem to work either. What am I doing wrong?

(define ctrl-nocaps (keyboard-layout "us" #:options '("ctrl:nocaps"))
(define cst-trackball
 "Section \"InputClass\"
    Identifier \"CST Trackball\"
    Driver \"libinput\"
    MatchVendor \"CST\"
    MatchProduct \"CST USB UNITRAC\"
    MatchIsPointer \"on\"
    Option \"AccelerationNumerator\" \"2.0\" EndSection")
(modify-services %desktop-services
('gdm-service-type c =>
 (gdm-configuration
  (inherit c)
  (auto-login? #t)
  (default-user "john")
  (xorg-configuration
   (xorg-configuration
    (keyboard-layout ctrl-nocaps)
    (extra-config `(,cst-trackball)))))))

Thanks again!

- John

* Re: xorg-configuration questions
@ 2019-04-06 23:04 ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2019-04-06 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: help-guix

John Soo <jsoo1@asu.edu> writes:

> Hey all,
>
> I love the idea of having one record for keyboard layout and I just reconfigured my system with the new configuration but my settings won't take. I've had issues with the old
> `extra-config` options in the past (nothing worked then including the cst-trackball from below). Admittedly, I am quite unfamiliar with xorg configuration of input devices so I can
> imagine I may be doing something wrong. I've listed what I have so far below. Note that the console keymap works properly. Also the auto-login does not seem to work either.
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> (define ctrl-nocaps (keyboard-layout "us" #:options '("ctrl:nocaps"))
> (define cst-trackball
>  "Section \"InputClass\"
>     Identifier \"CST Trackball\"
>     Driver \"libinput\"
>     MatchVendor \"CST\"
>     MatchProduct \"CST USB UNITRAC\"
>     MatchIsPointer \"on\"
>     Option \"AccelerationNumerator\" \"2.0\" EndSection")

Hello, I think there is no "AccelerationNumerator" option for libinput, it
has "AccelSpeed" instead:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_acceleration#Mouse_acceleration_with_libinput

Hope it helps!

* Re: xorg-configuration questions
@ 2019-04-09 15:04 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-04-09 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: help-guix

Hi John,

John Soo <jsoo1@asu.edu> skribis:

> I love the idea of having one record for keyboard layout and I just
> reconfigured my system with the new configuration but my settings won't
> take. I've had issues with the old `extra-config` options in the past
> (nothing worked then including the cst-trackball from below). Admittedly, I
> am quite unfamiliar with xorg configuration of input devices so I can
> imagine I may be doing something wrong. I've listed what I have so far
> below. Note that the console keymap works properly. Also the auto-login
> does not seem to work either. What am I doing wrong?
>
> (define ctrl-nocaps (keyboard-layout "us" #:options '("ctrl:nocaps"))
> (define cst-trackball
>  "Section \"InputClass\"
>     Identifier \"CST Trackball\"
>     Driver \"libinput\"
>     MatchVendor \"CST\"
>     MatchProduct \"CST USB UNITRAC\"
>     MatchIsPointer \"on\"
>     Option \"AccelerationNumerator\" \"2.0\" EndSection")
> (modify-services %desktop-services
> ('gdm-service-type c =>
   ^
This quote shouldn’t be here.

Apart from that, I don’t see anything wrong.

Now that there’s also ‘set-xorg-configuration’ now, which makes Xorg
configuration slightly less verbose.

HTH,
Ludo’.

* Re: xorg-configuration questions
@ 2019-04-09 16:06   ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-04-09 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Thanks!

I’m all fixed.  the extra config is broken but I think that’s an x configuration problem.

- John