all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#18305: lack of central info dir file
@ 2014-08-20 21:20 Brandon Invergo
From: Brandon Invergo @ 2014-08-20 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 18305

I've just successfully installed the Guix system on a spare computer
(yay!).  I'll send some bug reports as they roll in.  First up...

$HOME/.guix-profile/share/info/dir always points to the dir file of the
most recently installed package.  Instead, normally a dir file exists
independently of any package, and each package's entry is installed in
it via install-info.  So, now, for example, in info I only see Emacs'
entries but not Recutils, Coreutils or any of the other packages I've
installed.

Is it possible to remove or block the symlinking of each package's dir
in favor of installing to a user-local dir file in the profile?  Or
would this interfere with the no-side-effects nature of Guix?

-brandon

--
Brandon Invergo
http://brandon.invergo.net

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 472 bytes --]

* bug#18305: lack of central info dir file
@ 2014-08-22  9:00 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-08-22  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Invergo; +Cc: 18305

Hi, Brandon!

Brandon Invergo <brandon@gnu.org> skribis:

> I've just successfully installed the Guix system on a spare computer
> (yay!).  I'll send some bug reports as they roll in.  First up...

Cool.  :-)

> $HOME/.guix-profile/share/info/dir always points to the dir file of the
> most recently installed package.  Instead, normally a dir file exists
> independently of any package, and each package's entry is installed in
> it via install-info.  So, now, for example, in info I only see Emacs'
> entries but not Recutils, Coreutils or any of the other packages I've
> installed.

Yes, that’s a known issue.

This has to be addressed in ‘profile-derivation’, which currently just
computes the union of all the installed packages.  It should run
‘install-info’ in addition to that to build the new ‘dir’.  I’ll see if
I can get around to fixing it, if nobody beats me at it.

> Is it possible to remove or block the symlinking of each package's dir
> in favor of installing to a user-local dir file in the profile?  Or
> would this interfere with the no-side-effects nature of Guix?

Hopefully the above answers your question?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* bug#18305: lack of central info dir file
@ 2014-08-23 17:22   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-08-23 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Invergo; +Cc: 18305-done

This is now fixed.  Feedback welcome!

Specifically, ‘profile-derivation’ has support to build the profile’s
‘dir’ file by running ‘install-info’.

For the record, I initially wanted to come up with a more generic design
for things that need to be done at profile build time.  I haven’t come
up with such a design, but Info was going to be the main consumer
anyway, so I’m happy with the simpler approach.

Thanks,
Ludo’.