all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira <adfeno@openmailbox.org>
To: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: youtube in Web
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 10:08:56 -0300	[thread overview]

rekado gave us an important hint: to set the environment variables
properly. This and installing the GStreamer plugins mentioned should be
enough.

However, my experience tells me that it's better to visit YouTube with
GNU Icecat + NoScript + GreaseMonkey + ViewTube. You'll avoid running
non-free software that would otherwise be forced to you automatically
through JavaScript.

ViewTube supports getting videos that youtube-dl seems to be struggling
to get. Also, if I'm not mistaken there's a *possible* (not confirmed)
non-free software dependency in youtube-dl (and also mpv due to its
usage of youtube-dl), this was reported to the gnu-linux-libre mailing
list (the workgroup for free/libre system distributions, not the GNU
Linux-libre project), see
[[http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2017-04/msg00001.html]].

NOTE I do support/like and use GNU LibreJS for most other websites (I
even offer basic consulting and training on how to make pages according
to GNU LibreJS), but it seems that GNU LibreJS is currently blocking
GreaseMonkey userscripts (including ViewTube), this didn't seem to
happen in previous versions. I still didn't test the recent GNU IceCat
update, so I can't tell if the problem still exists.

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com