all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Display a single "substitute: updating list of substitutes from ..."
@ 2018-05-17  6:27 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-05-17  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Every now and then, guix updates the list of substitutes.  While doing
so, it displays a bunch of

	substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%

Sometimes dozens of them in a row.  I don't find it very informative to
show this to the user more than once.  Is there a specific reason to
display it multiple times?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

Would a giant, profit-oriented cartel lie to you?
		-- Top Ten List, Late Night with David Letterman

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Display a single "substitute: updating list of substitutes from ..."
@ 2018-05-17  7:16 ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2018-05-17  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 17.05.2018 um 08:27 schrieb Pierre Neidhardt:
> I don't find it very informative to show this to the user more than once.

Same for me. I find it esp. irritating to see info like this:

substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'... 10.0%

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Display a single "substitute: updating list of substitutes from ..."
@ 2018-05-17  7:50 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-05-17  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix-devel

Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:

> Every now and then, guix updates the list of substitutes.  While doing
> so, it displays a bunch of
>
> 	substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
>
> Sometimes dozens of them in a row.  I don't find it very informative to
> show this to the user more than once.  Is there a specific reason to
> display it multiple times?

Perhaps what you're seeing might be caused by this:

Chris

@ 2018-05-17  7:55   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-05-17  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: Guix-devel

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> writes:

> Perhaps what you're seeing might be caused by this:
>
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22990

I think it is!

--
Pierre Neidhardt

@ 2018-05-17 11:50   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-05-17 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: Guix-devel

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:

> Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Every now and then, guix updates the list of substitutes.  While doing
>> so, it displays a bunch of
>>
>> 	substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
>>
>> Sometimes dozens of them in a row.  I don't find it very informative to
>> show this to the user more than once.  Is there a specific reason to
>> display it multiple times?
>
> Perhaps what you're seeing might be caused by this:
>
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22990

Yes, it’s terrible, but no easy solution…

Ludo’.