all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
To: "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: “guix pack -RR” and ignored environment variables
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 15:18:30 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> $ unshare -mrf

Indeed, with this command instead of “guix environment --container”
everything works as expected.

Thanks!

> My guess is that the container you created contains some store items,
> such as the bash that appears in shebang.  Relocatable wrappers don’t do
> the namespace/proot/fakechroot dance when the original binary in the
> store exists, and instead they executed it directly.  But in your case,
> since you have an incomplete store, you’re maybe running bash from the
> store (thus without store mappings), and somehow things go wrong
> somewhere down the road?…

This seems to be the case.  It’s probably not a big deal, but I do
wonder if we could make packs work just as well on Guix System as on any
other system.  It’s not really that important because Guix System has
Guix and thus no real need for deployment with “guix pack”, but still…

--
Ricardo