On 2021-11-24, zimoun wrote: > On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 18:50, Julien Lepiller wrote: >> Do we even care that much about accuracy? I don't really care that the >> build takes 30 or 31 seconds, or even 1 minute, but I certainly care >> whether it takes 30s or 3h. I think this is also what SBUs give you: a >> rough estimate of which build is longer than the other. I think a >> simple proportionality relation would work well enough in most common >> cases. It might be quite off on a super computer, but who cares, >> really? > > What if it takes 3h and the prediction says 2h? Those sound about "the same" for any kind of reasonable expectation... I would guess you only want the correct order of magnitude... hours, minutes, days, weeks, months, years... or maybe quick, fast, slow, painful. I do this soft of fuzzy estimation all the time when working on Reproducible Builds in Debian; look at the past test history to get a *rough* estimate of how long I might expect a build to take. This helps me decide if I should start a build and get a $COFFEE, do some $SWORDFIGHTING on the $OFFICECHAIRS, or sit and watch the progress bar so I don't loose the mental state working on the problem becuase it will be done $SOON. Make it clear it's an estimate, or maybe even abstract away the time units so that there is no expectation of any particular time. I know there are people who would love to get a a value that was consistently right but to be *useful* it only needs an estimate to be mostly not completely wrong. At least to me. :) live well, vagrant