all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Jeff Mickey <j@codemac.net>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Running guix on nixos
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 10:02:57 +0100	[thread overview]

Jeff Mickey <j@codemac.net> skribis:

> There is a host at work that is running nixos. I thought "hey, I'll try
> doing that whole shared daemon thing".

:-)

> I have not succeeded yet. The approach has been to use the same
> nix-daemon, as I saw the hydra.gnu.org instance does something similar.

hydra.gnu.org did that long ago, but nowadays it uses guix-daemon and
/gnu/store.  Hydra (the software) calls out to Nix command-line tools,
which talk to guix-daemon.

> $ guix pull
> guix pull: error: failed to connect to `/nix/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': No such file or directory
>
> Ran sudo ln -s /nix/var/nix /nix/var/guix to get around that, but I'd
> like it to look properly in the statedir when I do
> --disable-daemon, so if there is a better way to do it I'm all ears.

I don’t think there’s a better way.

> In attempting to guix pull again, it fails to build gcc complaining:
>
> /nix/store/xw7...-binutils-cross-boot0-2.25.1/bin/x86_64-guix-linux-gnu-ld: cannot find -lstdc++

Hmm, weird.  Could you try:

  guix build -K hello

and send the excerpt of the build log that’s failing?

Also, make sure nix-daemon uses pristine chroot builds.  It used to be
the case that chroot builds were not used by default, and that when
doing chroot builds, the chroot would be augmented with at least /bin
taken from the host system, which brings in /bin/sh but also a number of
related problems:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2013-01/msg00041.html

HTH,
Ludo’.