all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Wrong system time
@ 2016-06-05 17:48 Kete Foy
From: Kete Foy @ 2016-06-05 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello, I am trying to install GuixSD, and my system time is much older
than the present; so the system won't install. It tells me to check the
system clock.

Unusual distinction—I chose to encrypt the system. Libreboot is supposed
to be able to boot an encrypted system. If it makes a difference, my
config.scm has (bootloader (grub-configuration (device
"/dev/mapper/cryptsys"))). In the Guix manual, I noticed a section about
encrypted systems that looked like it was meant for after the
installation, and Libreboot has its own instructions for the initial
boot and setting up subsequent boots: decrypting to find the kernel in
/boot.
--
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org
Key fingerprint = D7E9 5431 9C95 097F C314  C2A2 DD8C 15BD 0168 5E3A

* Grub with encrypted system Re: Wrong system time
@ 2016-06-05 21:11 ` Kete Foy
From: Kete Foy @ 2016-06-05 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

marusich helped me in IRC by mentioning the date app (and hwclock).
I'm going to try and get Grub installed into my fully encrypted disk
although I haven't taken a good look at the bug which might be too
advanced: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21843. I'm also
studying these pages:
- https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2016-03/msg00088.html
- https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#File-Systems
- https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2015-09-12

Kete Foy:
> Hello, I am trying to install GuixSD, and my system time is much older
> than the present; so the system won't install. It tells me to check the
> system clock.
>
> Unusual distinction—I chose to encrypt the system. Libreboot is supposed
> to be able to boot an encrypted system. If it makes a difference, my
> config.scm has (bootloader (grub-configuration (device
> "/dev/mapper/cryptsys"))). In the Guix manual, I noticed a section about
> encrypted systems that looked like it was meant for after the
> installation, and Libreboot has its own instructions for the initial
> boot and setting up subsequent boots: decrypting to find the kernel in
> /boot.

* Re: Wrong system time
@ 2016-06-13 20:35 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-06-13 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kete Foy; +Cc: help-guix

On Sun, Jun 05, 2016 at 05:48:52PM +0000, Kete Foy wrote:
> Hello, I am trying to install GuixSD, and my system time is much older
> than the present; so the system won't install. It tells me to check the
> system clock.
>
> Unusual distinction—I chose to encrypt the system. Libreboot is supposed
> to be able to boot an encrypted system. If it makes a difference, my
> config.scm has (bootloader (grub-configuration (device
> "/dev/mapper/cryptsys"))). In the Guix manual, I noticed a section about
> encrypted systems that looked like it was meant for after the
> installation, and Libreboot has its own instructions for the initial
> boot and setting up subsequent boots: decrypting to find the kernel in
> /boot.

I seem to remember an issue with GuixSD on Libreboot x200 machines where
the system clock was set to the Unix epoch. Is that what's going on
here? If so, can you search the guix-devel and bug-guix archives for
more info?

* Re: Wrong system time
@ 2016-06-14  1:48   ` Kete Foy
From: Kete Foy @ 2016-06-14  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

Yes, I used the date command to set the time and date, and my
installation finished; but after I rebooted, Grub did not start. I
turned the laptop off and have not touched it since.

Leo Famulari:

--

@ 2016-06-14  2:17     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-06-14  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kete Foy; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 01:48:49AM +0000, Kete Foy wrote:
> Yes, I used the date command to set the time and date, and my
> installation finished; but after I rebooted, Grub did not start. I
> turned the laptop off and have not touched it since.

Sounds like a bad experience :/

Is it an x200? It would be great to more fully support this machine,
which is one of the most accessible Libreboot machines.

* Re: Wrong system time
@ 2016-06-14  8:04       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-06-14  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 01:48:49AM +0000, Kete Foy wrote:
>> Yes, I used the date command to set the time and date, and my
>> installation finished; but after I rebooted, Grub did not start. I
>> turned the laptop off and have not touched it since.
>
> Sounds like a bad experience :/
>
> Is it an x200? It would be great to more fully support this machine,
> which is one of the most accessible Libreboot machines.

Yes, the relevant bug report is:

  <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22274>

The “solution” appears to be to use Linux-libre 4.1 (available as a Guix
package) until this is fixed upstream.

Ludo’.

* Re: Wrong system time
@ 2016-07-10 21:26         ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2016-07-10 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 01:48:49AM +0000, Kete Foy wrote:
>>> Yes, I used the date command to set the time and date, and my
>>> installation finished; but after I rebooted, Grub did not start. I
>>> turned the laptop off and have not touched it since.
>>
>> Sounds like a bad experience :/
>>
>> Is it an x200? It would be great to more fully support this machine,
>> which is one of the most accessible Libreboot machines.
>
> Yes, the relevant bug report is:
>
>   <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22274>
>
> The “solution” appears to be to use Linux-libre 4.1 (available as a Guix
> package) until this is fixed upstream.
>
> Ludo’.

For what it's worth, I've confirmed this is fixed in the latest
development version of Libreboot.  That was a few weeks ago.  So, if the
latest release doesn't already contain the fix, you can update it
yourself to get the fix.

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Wrong system time
@ 2016-07-10 22:39           ` Kete Foy
From: Kete Foy @ 2016-07-10 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: help-guix

Chris Marusich:
> For what it's worth, I've confirmed this is fixed in the latest
> development version of Libreboot.  That was a few weeks ago.  So, if the
> latest release doesn't already contain the fix, you can update it
> yourself to get the fix.

Thanks, I'll be sure to do that. I wasn't able to figure out how to
downgrade the kernel. I will post what I tried if anyone requests.
--
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org
gpg --recv-key 'D7E9 5431 9C95 097F C314  C2A2 DD8C 15BD 0168 5E3A'

* Re: Wrong system time
@ 2016-07-10 22:42             ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-07-10 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kete Foy; +Cc: help-guix

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 10:39:00PM +0000, Kete Foy wrote:
> Chris Marusich:
> > For what it's worth, I've confirmed this is fixed in the latest
> > development version of Libreboot.  That was a few weeks ago.  So, if the
> > latest release doesn't already contain the fix, you can update it
> > yourself to get the fix.
> >
> Thanks, I'll be sure to do that. I wasn't able to figure out how to
> downgrade the kernel. I will post what I tried if anyone requests.

IIRC we kept the 4.1 series of linux-libre specifically for libreboot
users. You should be able to use it by adding the following line to your
OS declaration:

(kernel linux-libre-4.1)

* Re: Wrong system time
@ 2016-07-11 11:52               ` Kete Foy
From: Kete Foy @ 2016-07-11 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

Leo Famulari:
> IIRC we kept the 4.1 series of linux-libre specifically for libreboot
> users. You should be able to use it by adding the following line to your
> OS declaration:
>
> (kernel linux-libre-4.1)

Thanks, I have this and the linux use-package-modules, but I may have
made a mistake. I installed linux 4.1 as the normal user, and I ran
'guix system reconfigure' as my normal user or root but definitely as
root after linux libre 4.1 did not boot. I had more output the 1st time
I reconfigured: probably tried to reconfigure but didn't have permission.
--

@ 2016-07-11 15:59                 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-07-11 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kete Foy; +Cc: help-guix

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 11:52:00AM +0000, Kete Foy wrote:
> Thanks, I have this and the linux use-package-modules, but I may have
> made a mistake. I installed linux 4.1 as the normal user, and I ran
> 'guix system reconfigure' as my normal user or root but definitely as
> root after linux libre 4.1 did not boot. I had more output the 1st time
> I reconfigured: probably tried to reconfigure but didn't have permission.

Right, You must reconfigure as root. It seems that an unprivileged user
can do quite a bit of the required work, such as building the required
packages, but eventually you will reach the steps that require
privileges.