all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How important is /gnu/store/.links?
@ 2017-03-09 15:44 dian_cecht
From: dian_cecht @ 2017-03-09 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

What is the purpose of /gnu/store/.links and is it important? I checked
the docs on the website and couldn't find any reference to this
directory anywhere, so I'm asking here.

* Re: How important is /gnu/store/.links?
@ 2017-03-10 14:19 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-03-10 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dian_cecht; +Cc: help-guix

<dian_cecht@zoho.com> skribis:

> What is the purpose of /gnu/store/.links and is it important? I checked
> the docs on the website and couldn't find any reference to this
> directory anywhere, so I'm asking here.

This directory serves as a database for deduplication, which is the
process of using hard links to make sure each individual file in
/gnu/store is stored only once in the file system.

If you “rm -rf” this directory, things will keep working, but that will
hamper deduplication going forward.  You can force a store-wide
deduplication pass, though, by running “guix gc --optimize”.

HTH!

Ludo’.