Hey Ludo, On Thu, Apr 20 2017, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > There must be some sort of a mapping between service types and > configuration types, indeed, but I’m not sure how to achieve it. > > One solution would be to have all the records > inherit (in the OO sense) from , or something along these > lines. This was my first thought. I couldn't see how to do OO-style inheritance with the SRFI-9 API, though. I'm not very experienced with Guile (or scheme generally), so I might do some more reading about that. One nice thing about this approach is that now a "service type" is a scheme record-type, and a "service" is a particular instance of that record-type, which feels slightly simpler/cleaner to me. > Or we could make “struct vtables” and then make > instances of those vtables (info "(guile) Vtables"). > I’d rather avoid using those interfaces, though (currently the only > record API we use is SRFI-9.) I don't know what this means. I had a quick scan of the documentation, but I'll have to read it in more detail later. > Or we could have a ‘define-service’ macro that defines both the > and the , and defines a ‘foo-service’ > macro equivalent to (service foo-service-type (foo-configuration …)). > > (define-service-type openssh-service-type > openssh-service > (extensions …) > (configuration > (port openssh-service-port (default 22)) > (use-pam? openssh-service-use-pam? (default #t)))) > > and then: > > (operating-system > ;; … > (services (cons (openssh-service (port 2222)) %base-services))) I also thought about this, but I was concerned about things like dovecot-service, where there are two configuration objects. I wouldn't want to force us to duplicate code, and create two different service types, if we wanted services like that in future. Although, maybe we would actually rather enforce a "one configuration type per service type" rule, for the sake of modifying services? It's hard to modify a service if you can't be sure of what the type of the configuration will be. Do you have a preference for what approach to use? If we use a macro to generate things then we retain the same flexibility as the current approach which removing a bunch of boilerplate, but I'm not sure I have the best view of the trade-offs involved. > I’m not sure what you mean. Is it something like what ‘simple-service’ > does? I meant something more like what I did with exim-service-type, where I extend a service just to ensure its presence, then I had to document you have to have a mail-aliases-service-type in order to use exim. With a default configuration the mail-aliases-service-type could be automatically instantiated if it doesn't exist. I don't think that's a good idea, though. Carlo