Konrad Hinsen writes: […] >> And in the description, we could use ‘@var’ instead of ‘@code’: >> >> -This library allows the user to set Emacs @code{exec-path} and >> +This library allows the user to set Emacs @var{exec-path} and > > I actually hesitated in this case, after consulting the Texinfo manual: > > 7.1.7 @var{metasyntactic-variable} > > Use the @var command to indicate metasyntactic variables. A > metasyntactic variable is something that stands for another piece of > text. For example, you should use a metasyntactic variable in the > documentation of a function to describe the arguments that are passed > to that function. > > Do not use @var for the names of normal variables in computer > programs. These are specific names, so @code is correct for them > (@code). For example, the Emacs Lisp variable texinfo-tex-command is > not a metasyntactic variable; it is properly formatted using @code. > > I must confess I don't understand the difference between a metasyntactic > variable and a normal variable. The examples don't help: for me, a > function argument is just a pre-initialized "normal" variable. From Emacs source code in ‘doc/lispref/files.texi’: Typical values for @var{path} are @code{exec-path} (@pxref{Subprocess Creation}) when looking for executable programs, or @code{load-path} (@pxref{Library Search}) when looking for Lisp files. If @var{filename} is absolute, @var{path} has no effect, but the suffixes in @var{suffixes} are still tried. A proper piece of sentence according to a quote above I could think of: This library allows the user to set Emacs @code{exec-path} and @var{path} from the shell @env{PATH} WDYT? Thanks, Oleg.