swedebugia, Guix, TL;DR: we're missing a field like ‘DISPLAY-NAME’, and all this is just hacking around the bush. swedebugia wrote: > Anyone else who have opinions on the matter of acronyms in names > where they can be avoided? I share your aversion to acronyms and senseless abbreviation — I just had to type ‘extra-config’ and it made me wince — but that's not the point here. > Good useability is important and cryptic acronyms are not > something to expose to the user if possible to avoid IMO. You're equating your preferred naming style to usability (an assertion I reject) and arguing that those sceptical of the former oppose the latter. This is not true. > Maybe this is where we need to discuss what our target audience > is? Nerds only? > Random Joe who is new to GNU systems but dead tired of the > proprietary systems he was taught in school who heard og Guix > through a good friend who helps him getting started? Using this logic, I counter that these very long names unfairly privilege 1337 hackers who can touch-type, and hurt the average Jo' poking at their chiclet keyboard with a chopstick ;-) Both arguments make about as much sense IMO (and caricature users). I think a name like ‘the-battle-for-wesnoth’ helps *neither* user. XLong names take longer to type on the command line, and noisy to read in code. Some hinder tab-completion. Any implication above that they are ‘usable’ at all is doubtful to me. In a GUI, they still look ugly: why no spaces? Why lowercase? Why bother? We don't have to choose between POLA from other command-line package managers and providing pretty metadata for higher-level UIs. We can do both. …but let's find consensus first ;-) Kind regards, T G-R