all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* New 'version-1.3.0' branch and lifting string freeze on master
@ 2021-04-17 18:44 Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-04-17 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: guix-maintainers

Hello!

With the remaining issues to be tackled for the current release (v1.3.0)
due tomorrow, I think we may need a bit of extra time to fix them and do
more testing.  These are the remaining issues (obtained by pressing the
'b' key in Emacs Debbugs while visiting the parent issue with
'debbugs-gnu-bugs RET 47297 RET').  The release task issue can also be
viewed at https://issues.guix.gnu.org/47297.

47808 important  Bone Baboon        guile-git-0.5.0.drv build failed on i686-linux
47567 important  Alexandru-Sergiu M Installer crash in 'uuid->string' for a FAT16 partition
44872 important  Tim Magee          GuixSD 1.2.0 installer fails with exception when formatting drive
33848 important  Ludovic Courtès    Store references in SBCL-compiled code are "invisible"
47841 normal     Julien Lepiller    [release 1.2.1] could not install on foreign distro
47745 normal     Mathieu Othacehe   ldap test is failing
47744 normal     Mathieu Othacehe   nfs-root-fs test is failing

To avoid keep master in string freeze longer, I've now created the
'release-v1.3.0' branch where the fixes for the remaining blocking
issues should go.

I'll now attempt to produce a first release candidate (RC) via the
release tooling.

Thanks,

Maxim

* Re: New 'version-1.3.0' branch and lifting string freeze on master
@ 2021-04-17 18:47 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-04-17 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-maintainers

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 02:44:52PM -0400, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> To avoid keep master in string freeze longer, I've now created the
> 'release-v1.3.0' branch where the fixes for the remaining blocking
> issues should go.

I kept a list of patches that were being held back due to the string
freeze:

https://bugs.gnu.org/47794
https://bugs.gnu.org/47804
https://bugs.gnu.org/47097
https://bugs.gnu.org/47763
https://bugs.gnu.org/47136

If the only thing blocking them was the string freeze, they can be
pushed to the master branch now.

* Re: New 'version-1.3.0' branch and lifting string freeze on master
@ 2021-04-18 10:09 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-04-18 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-maintainers

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:

> With the remaining issues to be tackled for the current release (v1.3.0)
> due tomorrow, I think we may need a bit of extra time to fix them and do
> more testing.  These are the remaining issues (obtained by pressing the
> 'b' key in Emacs Debbugs while visiting the parent issue with
> 'debbugs-gnu-bugs RET 47297 RET').  The release task issue can also be
> viewed at https://issues.guix.gnu.org/47297.
>
> 47808 important  Bone Baboon        guile-git-0.5.0.drv build failed on i686-linux
> 47567 important  Alexandru-Sergiu M Installer crash in 'uuid->string' for a FAT16 partition
> 44872 important  Tim Magee          GuixSD 1.2.0 installer fails with exception when formatting drive
> 33848 important  Ludovic Courtès    Store references in SBCL-compiled code are "invisible"
> 47841 normal     Julien Lepiller    [release 1.2.1] could not install on foreign distro
> 47745 normal     Mathieu Othacehe   ldap test is failing
> 47744 normal     Mathieu Othacehe   nfs-root-fs test is failing

I agree that we need a bit more time to address these, hopefully get
‘wip-ungrafting’ merged, and above all get more testing.

There are other items from doc/release.org in maintenance.git that will
have to be addressed, such as the dreaded NEWS update and companion blog
post.

> To avoid keep master in string freeze longer, I've now created the
> 'release-v1.3.0' branch where the fixes for the remaining blocking
> issues should go.

Nitpick: could we rename it to ‘version-1.3.0’, similar to the previous
release branches?

BTW, are we going for 1.3.0 rather than 1.2.1?  I’m fine either way,
it’s true that 1.3.0 might better reflect the amount of work that has
gone into it…

> I'll now attempt to produce a first release candidate (RC) via the
> release tooling.

Yay!  If we eventually merge ‘wip-ungrafting’, we should have at least
one RC built with that branch merged.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: New 'version-1.3.0' branch and lifting string freeze on master
@ 2021-04-18 12:08   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-04-18 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-maintainers

Hi Ludovic,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> With the remaining issues to be tackled for the current release (v1.3.0)
>> due tomorrow, I think we may need a bit of extra time to fix them and do
>> more testing.  These are the remaining issues (obtained by pressing the
>> 'b' key in Emacs Debbugs while visiting the parent issue with
>> 'debbugs-gnu-bugs RET 47297 RET').  The release task issue can also be
>> viewed at https://issues.guix.gnu.org/47297.
>>
>> 47808 important  Bone Baboon        guile-git-0.5.0.drv build failed on i686-linux
>> 47567 important  Alexandru-Sergiu M Installer crash in 'uuid->string' for a FAT16 partition
>> 44872 important  Tim Magee          GuixSD 1.2.0 installer fails with exception when formatting drive
>> 33848 important  Ludovic Courtès    Store references in SBCL-compiled code are "invisible"
>> 47841 normal     Julien Lepiller    [release 1.2.1] could not install on foreign distro
>> 47745 normal     Mathieu Othacehe   ldap test is failing
>> 47744 normal     Mathieu Othacehe   nfs-root-fs test is failing
>
> I agree that we need a bit more time to address these, hopefully get
> ‘wip-ungrafting’ merged, and above all get more testing.

Yes, as discussed on IRC with lfam,  I suggested we try to include the
changes of that branch in version-1.3.0.

> There are other items from doc/release.org in maintenance.git that will
> have to be addressed, such as the dreaded NEWS update and companion blog
> post.

Indeed; my idea for this is to have a WIP commit that I'll publish at
the top of version-1.3.0 and others can use it as a base and send
patches to the mailing list.  I've experimented yesterday with the 'make
update-NEWS' target and it was modifying the 1.2.0 items although I've
added a skeleton for 1.3.0 in the NEWS file already.

>> To avoid keep master in string freeze longer, I've now created the
>> 'release-v1.3.0' branch where the fixes for the remaining blocking
>> issues should go.
>
> Nitpick: could we rename it to ‘version-1.3.0’, similar to the previous
> release branches?

It was a typo on my part, the name is actually 'version-1.3.0' :-).

> BTW, are we going for 1.3.0 rather than 1.2.1?  I’m fine either way,
> it’s true that 1.3.0 might better reflect the amount of work that has
> gone into it…

Yes, this was a change I proposed.  I wasn't sure if there was a good
reason for 1.2.1 but the rationale is indeed that that 1.3.0 reflects
better on the amount of changes (including new features) that went in
this release.

>> I'll now attempt to produce a first release candidate (RC) via the
>> release tooling.
>
> Yay!  If we eventually merge ‘wip-ungrafting’, we should have at least
> one RC built with that branch merged.

OK! Sounds good, thank you!

Maxim