all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Bug reports for GNU Guix <bug-guix@gnu.org>
To: Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org>
Cc: 48213@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#48213: offlineimap build fails
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 11:08:54 +0200	[thread overview]

Babs,

Bone Baboon via Bug reports for GNU Guix 写道:
> Taking the failing test's name "test_ipv6_available" literally I
> would
> like to ask if having this test required to build this
> offlineimap
> dependency

I think not, but you should report this upstream first.  They look
asleep but I didn't hold a mirror under their nose.  If they don't
respond we might hack around it in Guix.

I suggest that you enable IPv6 support in the meantime.

> This would accommodate Guix users who have disabled ipv6.

Guix doesn't virtualise the kernel and expects it to provide all
that is needful.  Linux offers knobs for *everything*; that
doesn't mean everything is supported.  Disabling kernel support
for basic things (namespaces, UNIX domain sockets, IPv6) *will*
break certain software.

We shouldn't feel obligated to accommodate strange configurations
out of the box, but we try to do so when the maintenance cost is
very low.  In this case, you'd need to ensure the test still runs
on the vast majority of systems with IPv6.

Kind regards,

T G-R