all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Pushing a huge nls commit
@ 2021-07-14 19:46 Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-07-14 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix!

Since last release, there have been some changes to the strings in guix and the manual. Our switch to weblate allows for a rolling translation workflow, so there have been significant changes to the translations.

I'd like to run "make download-po" on a more or less regular basis (maybe once a month?). However, the commits cannot be easily reviewed or split really well. This morning, I tried and got a commit:

52 files changed, 191755 insertions (+), 165535 deletions (-)

Note that weblate automatically updates the msgids in the po files, so most of the changes are actually in the English sentences, not in the translations themselves.

Is it ok to push such a big change to master after checking it doesn't break anything? How regularly should that happen?

* Re: Pushing a huge nls commit
@ 2021-07-19 12:15 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2021-07-19 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 03:46:31PM -0400, Julien Lepiller wrote:
> Hi Guix!
>
> Since last release, there have been some changes to the strings in guix and the manual. Our switch to weblate allows for a rolling translation workflow, so there have been significant changes to the translations.
>
> I'd like to run "make download-po" on a more or less regular basis (maybe once a month?). However, the commits cannot be easily reviewed or split really well. This morning, I tried and got a commit:
>
> 52 files changed, 191755 insertions (+), 165535 deletions (-)
>
> Note that weblate automatically updates the msgids in the po files, so most of the changes are actually in the English sentences, not in the translations themselves.
>
> Is it ok to push such a big change to master after checking it doesn't break anything? How regularly should that happen?

IMO it should be OK. I'm not sure how to check other than to run 'make'
and make sure it doesn't barf on any translation strings. Plus if it
gets updated more often then when we bump the guix package the strings
will be newer.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Pushing a huge nls commit
@ 2021-07-25 20:05   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-07-25 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 03:46:31PM -0400, Julien Lepiller wrote:
>> Hi Guix!
>>
>> Since last release, there have been some changes to the strings in guix and the manual. Our switch to weblate allows for a rolling translation workflow, so there have been significant changes to the translations.
>>
>> I'd like to run "make download-po" on a more or less regular basis (maybe once a month?). However, the commits cannot be easily reviewed or split really well. This morning, I tried and got a commit:
>>
>> 52 files changed, 191755 insertions (+), 165535 deletions (-)
>>
>> Note that weblate automatically updates the msgids in the po files, so most of the changes are actually in the English sentences, not in the translations themselves.
>>
>> Is it ok to push such a big change to master after checking it doesn't break anything? How regularly should that happen?
>
> IMO it should be OK.

+1.  It’s great to be able to update them more frequently.

> I'm not sure how to check other than to run 'make' and make sure it
> doesn't barf on any translation strings. Plus if it gets updated more
> often then when we bump the guix package the strings will be newer.

To be on the safe side, you could try “make as-derivation”, which builds
guix-manual.drv & co.

Thanks for taking care of it, Julien!

Ludo’.