all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix package -u . --dry-run equivalent for guix home
@ 2023-12-06  8:58 Remco van 't Veer
From: Remco van 't Veer @ 2023-12-06  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

Before using guix home, I had a manifest file for all my packages.
Whenever I did a "guix pull", I'd do "guix package -u . --dry-run" to
figure out if anything interesting got updated.  How do I do that when
my manifest is in my home configuration?  Using "--dry-run" on "guix
home reconfigure" only tells me how much will be downloaded.  I tried
tricking "guix package" into telling me with "guix package -p
.guix-home/profile -u . --dry-run" but that gets me an error.

Is it possible to get an package update dry-run like output for guix
home?

Cheers,
Remco

* Re: guix package -u . --dry-run equivalent for guix home
@ 2023-12-06 20:36 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2023-12-06 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remco van 't Veer; +Cc: help-guix

On Wed, Dec 06, 2023 at 09:58:13AM +0100, Remco van 't Veer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Before using guix home, I had a manifest file for all my packages.
> Whenever I did a "guix pull", I'd do "guix package -u . --dry-run" to
> figure out if anything interesting got updated.  How do I do that when
> my manifest is in my home configuration?  Using "--dry-run" on "guix
> home reconfigure" only tells me how much will be downloaded.  I tried
> tricking "guix package" into telling me with "guix package -p
> .guix-home/profile -u . --dry-run" but that gets me an error.
>
> Is it possible to get an package update dry-run like output for guix
> home?

I'll run 'guix home build <path-to-file> -n' to see what's going to be
built.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix package -u . --dry-run equivalent for guix home
@ 2023-12-07  8:42   ` Remco van 't Veer
From: Remco van 't Veer @ 2023-12-07  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: help-guix

2023/12/06, Efraim Flashner:

>> Is it possible to get an package update dry-run like output for guix
>> home?
>
> I'll run 'guix home build <path-to-file> -n' to see what's going to be
> built.

That's a bit more informative but currently it only tells me it's going
to download some new version of guix.  Running build without -n reveals
it will download and install a lot more..

How are people (with update junky tendencies like me) using guix-home?
Run guix-home-reconfigure after every guix-pull?

* Re: guix package -u . --dry-run equivalent for guix home
@ 2023-12-07 10:05     ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2023-12-07 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remco van 't Veer; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, Dec 07, 2023 at 09:42:47AM +0100, Remco van 't Veer wrote:
> 2023/12/06, Efraim Flashner:
>
> >> Is it possible to get an package update dry-run like output for guix
> >> home?
> >
> > I'll run 'guix home build <path-to-file> -n' to see what's going to be
> > built.
>
> That's a bit more informative but currently it only tells me it's going
> to download some new version of guix.  Running build without -n reveals
> it will download and install a lot more..
>
> How are people (with update junky tendencies like me) using guix-home?
> Run guix-home-reconfigure after every guix-pull?

Ok, I admit that isn't the full command.

guix home build <path-to-file> --no-grafts -n'

The '--no-grafts' means it'll give an accurate response of what will be
built/downloaded without taking into account any new grafts.

I also normally add '--fallback' with 'guix home build' to try again if
a download fails.

--

@ 2023-12-07 13:24     ` Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2023-12-07 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remco van 't Veer; +Cc: Efraim Flashner, help-guix

On 2023-12-07 09:42:47 +0100, Remco van 't Veer wrote:
> How are people (with update junky tendencies like me) using guix-home?
> Run guix-home-reconfigure after every guix-pull?

I in general just check the commit messages in the range that was pulled to see
if there is anything interesting.  And reconfigure only in that case.

Tomas

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix package -u . --dry-run equivalent for guix home
@ 2023-12-09 17:48       ` Remco van 't Veer
From: Remco van 't Veer @ 2023-12-09 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: help-guix

2023/12/07, Efraim Flashner:

> On Thu, Dec 07, 2023 at 09:42:47AM +0100, Remco van 't Veer wrote:
>> 2023/12/06, Efraim Flashner:

>> > I'll run 'guix home build <path-to-file> -n' to see what's going to be
>> > built.
>>
>> That's a bit more informative but currently it only tells me it's going
>> to download some new version of guix.  Running build without -n reveals
>> it will download and install a lot more..
>>
>> How are people (with update junky tendencies like me) using guix-home?
>> Run guix-home-reconfigure after every guix-pull?
>
> Ok, I admit that isn't the full command.
>
> guix home build <path-to-file> --no-grafts -n'
>
> The '--no-grafts' means it'll give an accurate response of what will be
> built/downloaded without taking into account any new grafts.

Yes, that's a lot closer to what I want to see.  Slightly better even!

Thanks,

@ 2023-12-09 17:55       ` Remco van 't Veer
From: Remco van 't Veer @ 2023-12-09 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Volf; +Cc: Efraim Flashner, help-guix

2023/12/07, Tomas Volf:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On 2023-12-07 09:42:47 +0100, Remco van 't Veer wrote:
>> How are people (with update junky tendencies like me) using guix-home?
>> Run guix-home-reconfigure after every guix-pull?
>
> I in general just check the commit messages in the range that was pulled to see
> if there is anything interesting.  And reconfigure only in that case.

Yeah, I have guix master from savannah in a RSS reader but miss a lot
because it only returns the latest 10 commits.  Do your have a local
clone to get the logs from or is their some trick to get the logs from
the commits guix-pull just fetched?

@ 2023-12-10  0:20         ` Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2023-12-10  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remco van 't Veer; +Cc: Efraim Flashner, help-guix

On 2023-12-09 18:55:22 +0100, Remco van 't Veer wrote:

> 2023/12/07, Tomas Volf:
>
> > [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> > On 2023-12-07 09:42:47 +0100, Remco van 't Veer wrote:
> >> How are people (with update junky tendencies like me) using guix-home?
> >> Run guix-home-reconfigure after every guix-pull?
> >
> > I in general just check the commit messages in the range that was pulled to see
> > if there is anything interesting.  And reconfigure only in that case.
>
> Yeah, I have guix master from savannah in a RSS reader but miss a lot
> because it only returns the latest 10 commits.  Do your have a local
> clone to get the logs from

Right so the thing is I do not run stock Guix, but a fork with some (very) light
modifications.  So I need to merge updates from the Guix proper periodically.
And those merge commits are configured to provide in the commit message the very
information I need:

    https://git.sr.ht/~graywolf/guix/commit/96ffe69d09c7abd4a80b632eb53c064e97e62141

> or is their some trick to get the logs from the commits guix-pull just
> fetched?

When `guix pull'-ing, it gives you a message like this:

    Authenticating channel 'guix', commits 028e445 to 32c6a3a (9 new commits)...

So I would just use `git log --oneline 028e445..32c6a3a' in the Guix repository
(which I do have local clone anyway) to get the same list I have in the commit
message right now.

Hope this helps,
Tomas

--

@ 2023-12-10  8:13           ` Remco van 't Veer
From: Remco van 't Veer @ 2023-12-10  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Volf; +Cc: Efraim Flashner, help-guix

2023/12/10, Tomas Volf:

> On 2023-12-09 18:55:22 +0100, Remco van 't Veer wrote:

>> > I in general just check the commit messages in the range that was pulled to see
>> > if there is anything interesting.  And reconfigure only in that case.
>>
>> Yeah, I have guix master from savannah in a RSS reader but miss a lot
>> because it only returns the latest 10 commits.  Do your have a local
>> clone to get the logs from
>
> Right so the thing is I do not run stock Guix, but a fork with some (very) light
> modifications.  So I need to merge updates from the Guix proper periodically.
> And those merge commits are configured to provide in the commit message the very
> information I need:
>
>     https://git.sr.ht/~graywolf/guix/commit/96ffe69d09c7abd4a80b632eb53c064e97e62141
>
>> or is their some trick to get the logs from the commits guix-pull just
>> fetched?
>
> When `guix pull'-ing, it gives you a message like this:
>
>     Authenticating channel 'guix', commits 028e445 to 32c6a3a (9 new commits)...
>
> So I would just use `git log --oneline 028e445..32c6a3a' in the Guix repository
> (which I do have local clone anyway) to get the same list I have in the commit
> message right now.

Thanks, that is very helpful.  I'll script something to compare the
commit delta between guix-describe and guix-home-describe on my local
clone or doing log range on savannah.

Cheers,
Remco