On 2024-02-27, Andreas Enge wrote: > Am Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 07:26:57AM -0800 schrieb Felix Lechner: >> How about a 48-hour period every month in which commits are permitted >> even if they cause "world rebuilds"? >> We could pause the substitute builders during that period. It would get >> rid of core-updates forever. > > a time-based approach sounds like a good idea indeed; if just for things > like ungrafting, which are considered extremely low risk. It might still > be good to do it in a separate branch instead of master, and to merge it > after substitutes are available. Since "guix pull" takes the latest commit > from the master branch, users could otherwise end up with a world-rebuild > commit without substitutes. > > So maybe we could have a time window, but also discuss and prepare before- > hand which big changes we would like to push? Or a similarly "short" time period where commits to master are blocked, so that substitutes being built for branches-to-be-merged are not chasing a moving target?