all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Guix deploy ignoring identity
@ 2024-05-13 14:15 Kristoffer Ström
From: Kristoffer Ström @ 2024-05-13 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, -

Hello, i'm trying to use guix deploy for a remote vhost, my conf looks
something like this:

(list (machine
       (operating-system test-os)
       (environment managed-host-environment-type)
       (configuration (machine-ssh-configuration
                       (host-name "test.se")
                       (host-key "ssh-ed25519 AA... deploy@test")
					   (identity "/any/path")
                       (system "x86_64-linux")
                       (user "deploy")
                       (port 22)))))

test-os is correctly defined as far as i can tell.

However, whatever i put in identity seems not to matter, the correct
path does nothing, as does an empty or non-existant path.

What could be the issue here?

* Re: Guix deploy ignoring identity
@ 2024-05-13 16:08 ` Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2024-05-13 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristoffer Ström; +Cc: help-guix

On 2024-05-13 14:15:07 +0000, Kristoffer Ström wrote:

> Hello, i'm trying to use guix deploy for a remote vhost, my conf looks
> something like this:
>
> (list (machine
>        (operating-system test-os)
>        (environment managed-host-environment-type)
>        (configuration (machine-ssh-configuration
>                        (host-name "test.se")
>                        (host-key "ssh-ed25519 AA... deploy@test")
> 					   (identity "/any/path")
>                        (system "x86_64-linux")
>                        (user "deploy")
>                        (port 22)))))
>
> test-os is correctly defined as far as i can tell.
>
> However, whatever i put in identity seems not to matter, the correct
> path does nothing, as does an empty or non-existant path.
>
> What could be the issue here?

Would you, by any chance, happen to have ~/.ssh/config that sets Identity for
the host in question?  If yes, those do override whatever you put into
(machine-ssh-configuration).

Have a nice day,
Tomas

PS: My mail server refuses to accept -@emo07-pco.easydns.vpn as a valid address,
so I cannot CC it.  I do not think hyphen can be at the start (or end) of
local-part.  If the address actually exists, please forward my mail to it
yourself.

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guix deploy ignoring identity
@ 2024-05-13 16:42   ` Kristoffer Ström
From: Kristoffer Ström @ 2024-05-13 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Volf; +Cc: help-guix

> Would you, by any chance, happen to have ~/.ssh/config that sets Identity for
> the host in question?  If yes, those do override whatever you put into
> (machine-ssh-configuration).

No i do not, i only have known_hosts and my keys.

have a good day too.

* Re: Guix deploy ignoring identity
@ 2024-05-13 17:48 ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-05-13 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristoffer Ström, help-guix, -

Hi Kristoffer,

On Mon, May 13 2024, Kristoffer Ström wrote:

> i'm trying to use guix deploy for a remote vhost

Here is a machine stanza I have been using.  It always works, aside from
name resolution issues or SSH timeouts:

    https://codeberg.org/lechner/system-config/src/branch/history/host/wallace-server/machine.scm

Notably, I do not use a 'user' field, but use my current user.

There is no error message?

Kind regards
Felix

* Re: Guix deploy ignoring identity
@ 2024-05-13 19:30   ` Kristoffer Ström
From: Kristoffer Ström @ 2024-05-13 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner, help-guix

> There is no error message?

With my current user it gets the ssh login correct, but fails at sudo
(i want it to, i don't like my remote user to be pwless sudo)

The error i get is

guix deploy: error: failed to deploy rymdkoloni: SSH authentication failed for 'deploy@example.se': Access denied for 'publickey'. Authentication that can continue: publickey

using ssh -i with the identity works as expected.

I realize now that my ssh key is password protected, is this maybe not supported?

* Re: Guix deploy ignoring identity
@ 2024-05-13 20:38     ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-05-13 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristoffer Ström, help-guix

Hi Kristoffer,

On Mon, May 13 2024, Kristoffer Ström wrote:

> I realize now that my ssh key is password protected, is this maybe not
> supported?

To my knowledge that is not supported, but I'd love to hear otherwise.

Kind regards
Felix