all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* “Source Code Archiving to the Rescue of Reproducible Deployment”
@ 2024-05-31 12:19 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-05-31 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-science; +Cc: Simon TOURNIER, Timothy Sample, Stefano Zacchiroli

Hi!

Our paper entitled “Source Code Archiving to the Rescue of Reproducible
Deployment” was accepted for publication to ACM REP¹:

  https://hal.science/hal-04586520v1

It discusses the integration of Guix and Software Heritage, why it
matters for reproducible research workflows, what the challenges were,
and what the status is.

Feedback welcome!

Ludo’.

¹ https://acm-rep.github.io/2024/

* Re: “Source Code Archiving to the Rescue of Reproducible Deployment”
@ 2024-05-31 16:01 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2024-05-31 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, guix-science; +Cc: Timothy Sample, Stefano Zacchiroli

Hi,

On Fri, 31 May 2024 at 14:19, Ludovic Courtès <ludovic.courtes@inria.fr> wrote:

>   https://hal.science/hal-04586520v1

Cool! :-)

>     what the status is.

FWIW, I think the next step seems to take an old stack, say something
from 2019 and from CRAN then from TeXLive, apply the trivial ’drv-drv’
Guix extension [1] transforming the old fixed-output derivation to new
fixed-output derivation, and see if it works as expected; at scale. :-)

I would like to evaluate before summer holidays where some holes (bugs?)
still remain.  Cross the finger: I hope to avoid my black holes* around.

*black holes: you know, the unexpected stuff that ingest all your
energy… spacetime singularity! ;-)

Cheers,
simon

1: https://simon.tournier.info/posts/2024-04-11-rewrite-drv.html