all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
To: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org>,
	Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org>,
	Adrien 'neox' Bourmault <neox@gnu.org>,
	help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: License compliance when redistributing images built with 'guix system'.
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2024 19:26:22 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Denis,

Well, I do not see any reply to this message.  So even very late. :-)

On Thu, 23 May 2024 at 02:09, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org> wrote:

> The GPLv2 has this part:
>> If distribution of executable or object code is made by offering
>> access to copy from a designated place, then offering equivalent
>> access to copy the source code from the same place counts as
>> distribution of the source code, even though third parties are not
>> compelled to copy the source along with the object code.
>
> So as I understand when redistributing packages (made with guix pack
> for instance), 'guix build --sources=transitive
> <packages [...]>' can be used to get all the corresponding source code
> and publish it in 'the same place'. I could also distribute the Guix
> source code being used and the build scripts along the way, and even
> generate a package <-> license list with guix package --show just to be
> sure (though the licenses are also in the source code).
>
> But for redistributing complete images built with guix system image,
> like a VM image for instance, I'm unsure how to do it and I was
> wondering if there is a standard way to do that.

Well, I am not sure to get if you speak about the source or about the
binary of this image?

In case you would like to get all the sources required by the system
image, well I am not aware of any easy way.

From your configuration file, you could extract the manifest file which
includes all the packages and based on that you could apply some
“sources=transitive” options.

Cheers,
simon