all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: GNU in GSOC 2015 - Application sent
       [not found] <877fvftjg3.fsf@gnu.org>
@ 2015-02-25 21:24 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-25 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose E. Marchesi; +Cc: guix-devel, summer-of-code

Hello,

Here are three ideas for Guix and dmd.  Others may follow.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

<h3 id="guix"><a href="/software/guix">GNU Guix</a></h3>

  The Guix System Distribution is GNU's advanced distribution.</p>

<h4 id="guix_hurd">Porting Guix to GNU/Hurd</h4>

  GNU Guix currently supports building packages for GNU/Linux only.  The
  goal of this project would be to allow it to cross-build and build
  packages for GNU/Hurd, and to provide a virtual machine image that
  boots into such a system.
  This would involve packaging Mach/Hurd/MiG/libc, adjusting allowing
  cross-compilation to GNU/Hurd, cross-compiling the “bootstrap
  binaries” for GNU/Hurd, and then working towards support for GNU/Hurd
  in the <code>(gnu system)</code> Guix modules.  This last point would
  allow a VM image of the complete system to be built.

<strong>Mentor</strong>: <a href="mailto:ludo@gnu.org">Ludovic Court&egrave;s</a>

<h4 id="guix_dhcp">Implementing a DHCP client in Guile Scheme</h4>

  The goal of this project is to write a DHCP client library in Guile
  Scheme.  The library will then be usable as a dmd service, thereby
  providing better integration.

<strong>Mentor</strong>: <a href="mailto:ludo@gnu.org">Ludovic Court&egrave;s</a>

<h3 id="dmd"><a href="/software/dmd">GNU dmd</a></h3>

  GNU's advanced distribution.</p>

<h4 id="dmd_units">Syntax and semantics of systemd units in GNU&nbsp;dmd</h4>

  GNU dmd has a <a
  href="/software/dmd/manual/html_node/Services.html">Scheme interface
  to define services</a>, most importantly their dependencies and
  actions associated with them.  The goal of this project is twofold.
  The first part consists in matching the semantics of systemd's <a
  unit files, more precisely a subset thereof (for instance, the
  DBus-related part may be omitted.)  As part of this work, dmd should
  be extended with <a
  href="https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/cgroups/cgroups.txt">cgroup</a>
  support on systems that support it.  dmd should also be extended with
  a procedure to load a <code>.service</code> file and return a
  <code>&lt;service&gt;</code> object.
  The second part will consist in implementing other types of <a
  href="http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.unit.html">

<strong>Mentor</strong>: <a href="mailto:ludo@gnu.org">Ludovic Court&egrave;s</a>

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GNU in GSOC 2015 - Application sent
@ 2015-02-27 14:47   ` Jose E. Marchesi
From: Jose E. Marchesi @ 2015-02-27 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, summer-of-code

    Here are three ideas for Guix and dmd.  Others may follow.

Added to the ideas page.  Thanks.

* Re: GNU in GSOC 2015 - Application sent
@ 2015-03-09 22:11   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-03-09 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose E. Marchesi; +Cc: guix-devel, gnunet-developers, summer-of-code

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Here are three ideas for Guix and dmd.  Others may follow.

Here’s a couple more.

<h4 id="guix_containers">Linux container support</h4>

  GNU Guix currently supports the installation of GuixSD on virtual
  machines and physical hosts through its <a
  href="/software/guix/manual/html_node/Invoking-guix-system.html"><code>guix
  system</code></a> command.  The goal of this project would be to add
  another installation target: containers.  A container is an
  environment that is similar to a virtual machine but without the
  overhead that comes with running a separate kernel and simulating
  hardware.  Containers are isolated on a host system through Linux's
  control groups and kernel namespaces.

<strong>Mentor</strong>: <a href="mailto:davet@gnu.org">David Thompson</a>

<h4>Supporting binary package distribution through GNUnet</h4>

GNU Guix provides a transparent binary/source deployment model.  A
server can claim: “hey, I have the binary for
<tt>/gnu/store/v9zic07iar8w90zcy398r745w78a7lqs-emacs-24.4</tt>!”, where the
base32 string uniquely identifies a build process.  If you trust that
server to provide genuine binaries, then you can grab them instead of
building Emacs locally.  This mechanism is called <a

The “traditional model” has been to have a build farm build and serve
binary packages over HTTP.  In that model, users trust the build farm to
provide authentic binaries.

The project aims to provide a <emph>practical</emph> decentralization
distribution mechanism for binary packages, using <a
href="/software/gnunet">GNUnet’s networking layers</a>.  In that
model, users would be able to automatically share binaries they have
built locally, and to install binaries built by other users.  This is
part of a broader goal of <emph>disintermediation</emph> among users,
and between users and upstream software developers.

Deliverables <a
href="http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-03/msg00192.html">include</a>
a substituter that uses GNUnet as its back-end, and a tool to publish
build results.

<strong>Mentors</strong>:

Thanks,
Ludo'.

* Re: GNU in GSOC 2015 - Application sent
@ 2015-03-09 23:33     ` Giuseppe Scrivano
From: Giuseppe Scrivano @ 2015-03-09 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès
  Cc: guix-devel, gnunet-developers, summer-of-code, Jose E. Marchesi

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:
>
>> Here are three ideas for Guix and dmd.  Others may follow.
>
> Here’s a couple more.

Thanks, just added them to the page.

Regards,
Giuseppe

* Re: GNU in GSOC 2015 - Application sent
@ 2015-03-10  9:53     ` Sree Harsha Totakura
From: Sree Harsha Totakura @ 2015-03-10  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Jose E. Marchesi
  Cc: guix-devel, gnunet-developers, summer-of-code

Hi!

I'd like this also to be mentioned briefly under the GNUnet project so
that anyone interested in GNUnet can find it.

Please add the following under GNUnet ideas:

<h4>Supporting GNU Guix's package distribution</h4>

Please refer to the description for this project listed under <a
href="#guix">GNU Guix project ideas</a>.

Thanks,
Sree

@ 2015-03-10 14:59       ` Giuseppe Scrivano
From: Giuseppe Scrivano @ 2015-03-10 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sree Harsha Totakura
  Cc: guix-devel, gnunet-developers, Ludovic Courtès,
	summer-of-code, Jose E. Marchesi

Sree Harsha Totakura <totakura@in.tum.de> writes:

> <h4>Supporting GNU Guix's package distribution</h4>

> Please refer to the description for this project listed under <a
> href="#guix">GNU Guix project ideas</a>.

added.

Regards,
Giuseppe