all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* container issues
@ 2015-12-31 13:00 Ben Woodcroft
From: Ben Woodcroft @ 2015-12-31 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hey,

I'm on newest master (45147b0), is something amiss?

$ ./pre-inst-env guix environment --ad-hoc -C ruby
In execvp of fsck.none: No such file or directory
'fsck.none' exited with code 127 on /home/ben/git/guix; spawning REPL
GNU Guile 2.0.11
Copyright (C) 1995-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guile-user)>

I also cannot quit this terminal as it keeps respawning. Any ideas?

thanks
ben

* Re: container issues
@ 2015-12-31 14:59 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2015-12-31 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Woodcroft; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Ben Woodcroft <b.woodcroft@uq.edu.au> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm on newest master (45147b0), is something amiss?
>

> $ ./pre-inst-env guix environment --ad-hoc -C ruby
> In execvp of fsck.none: No such file or directory
> 'fsck.none' exited with code 127 on /home/ben/git/guix; spawning REPL
> GNU Guile 2.0.11
> Copyright (C) 1995-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
> This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.
>
> Enter `,help' for help.
> scheme@(guile-user)>
>

> I also cannot quit this terminal as it keeps respawning. Any ideas?

I'm able to reproduce this on my GuixSD laptop, but not on my
Guix+Ubuntu system.  Very interesting.  I will try to investigate
further when I get a chance.  Anyone should feel free to fix it before
I do. ;)

Thanks for the report,

- Dave

* Re: container issues
@ 2015-12-31 23:58   ` Ben Woodcroft
From: Ben Woodcroft @ 2015-12-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org, help-guix

On 01/01/16 00:59, Thompson, David wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Ben Woodcroft <b.woodcroft@uq.edu.au> wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> I'm on newest master (45147b0), is something amiss?
>>

>> $ ./pre-inst-env guix environment --ad-hoc -C ruby
>> In execvp of fsck.none: No such file or directory
>> 'fsck.none' exited with code 127 on /home/ben/git/guix; spawning REPL
>> GNU Guile 2.0.11
>> Copyright (C) 1995-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>
>> Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
>> This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>> under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.
>>
>> Enter `,help' for help.
>> scheme@(guile-user)>
>>

>> I also cannot quit this terminal as it keeps respawning. Any ideas?
> I'm able to reproduce this on my GuixSD laptop, but not on my
> Guix+Ubuntu system.  Very interesting.  I will try to investigate
> further when I get a chance.  Anyone should feel free to fix it before
> I do. ;)
>
> Thanks for the report,
I'm on Ubuntu so it isn't GuixSD specific. Using git bisect I found this
commit to be where it stops working for me:

be21979d85304fedd5c0fb970ffc337d220eda7a is the first bad commit
commit be21979d85304fedd5c0fb970ffc337d220eda7a
Author: Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>
Date:   Tue Dec 22 00:25:40 2015 +0100

     file-systems: Add a 'mount?' field.

     Fixes <http://bugs.gnu.org/22176>.
     Reported by Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@gmx.net>.

     * gnu/system/file-systems.scm (<file-system>)[mount?]: New field.
     (file-system->spec): Adjust accordingly.
     * gnu/services/base.scm (file-system-dmd-service): Return the empty
list
     when FILE-SYSTEM has 'mount?' set to false.
     (user-processes-service): Select the subset of FILE-SYSTEMS that
matches
     'file-system-mount?'.
     * doc/guix.texi (File Systems): Document it.

Thanks,
ben

PS. It would be good to get your opinion on the Ruby reproducibility
thread in guix-devel, in case you haven't noticed it.

* Re: container issues
@ 2016-01-01 15:01 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-01 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Woodcroft; +Cc: help-guix

Ben Woodcroft <b.woodcroft@uq.edu.au> skribis:

> $ ./pre-inst-env guix environment --ad-hoc -C ruby

It works for me on GuixSD.

> In execvp of fsck.none: No such file or directory
> 'fsck.none' exited with code 127 on /home/ben/git/guix; spawning REPL

This comes from ‘mount-file-system’ in (gnu build file-systems), called
from (gnu build linux-container).

I suspect an ABI issue if you haven’t rebuilt since be21979d
(Dec. 22nd.)

Could you run ‘make clean-go && make’ and then retry?

TIA, and happy GNU year!

Ludo’.

* Re: container issues
@ 2016-01-01 18:11     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-01 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Woodcroft; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org, help-guix

Ben Woodcroft <b.woodcroft@uq.edu.au> skribis:

> On 01/01/16 00:59, Thompson, David wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Ben Woodcroft <b.woodcroft@uq.edu.au> wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> I'm on newest master (45147b0), is something amiss?
>>>

>>> $ ./pre-inst-env guix environment --ad-hoc -C ruby
>>> In execvp of fsck.none: No such file or directory
>>> 'fsck.none' exited with code 127 on /home/ben/git/guix; spawning REPL
>>> GNU Guile 2.0.11
>>> Copyright (C) 1995-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>>
>>> Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
>>> This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>>> under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.
>>>
>>> Enter `,help' for help.
>>> scheme@(guile-user)>
>>>

>>> I also cannot quit this terminal as it keeps respawning. Any ideas?
>> I'm able to reproduce this on my GuixSD laptop, but not on my
>> Guix+Ubuntu system.  Very interesting.  I will try to investigate
>> further when I get a chance.  Anyone should feel free to fix it before
>> I do. ;)
>>
>> Thanks for the report,
> I'm on Ubuntu so it isn't GuixSD specific. Using git bisect I found
> this commit to be where it stops working for me:
>
> be21979d85304fedd5c0fb970ffc337d220eda7a is the first bad commit
> commit be21979d85304fedd5c0fb970ffc337d220eda7a
> Author: Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>
> Date:   Tue Dec 22 00:25:40 2015 +0100
>
>     file-systems: Add a 'mount?' field.

This commit changes the ABI (namely, <file-system> structures now have
an additional field, and since structure accessors are inlined, all
users of <file-system> need to be rebuilt.)

Could you try ‘make clean-go && make’ as I suggested elsewhere?

Thanks!

Ludo’.

* Re: container issues
@ 2016-01-02  0:10   ` Ben Woodcroft
From: Ben Woodcroft @ 2016-01-02  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

On 02/01/16 01:01, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Ben Woodcroft <b.woodcroft@uq.edu.au> skribis:
>
>> $ ./pre-inst-env guix environment --ad-hoc -C ruby
> It works for me on GuixSD.
>
>> In execvp of fsck.none: No such file or directory
>> 'fsck.none' exited with code 127 on /home/ben/git/guix; spawning REPL
> This comes from ‘mount-file-system’ in (gnu build file-systems), called
> from (gnu build linux-container).
>
> I suspect an ABI issue if you haven’t rebuilt since be21979d
> (Dec. 22nd.)
>
> Could you run ‘make clean-go && make’ and then retry?
You suspect correctly, all good. I'll make sure to do that in future
before submitting a bug report.
> TIA, and happy GNU year!
May all the bugs reported to you be false!

Thanks,
ben

* Re: container issues
@ 2016-01-03 11:28     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-03 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Woodcroft; +Cc: help-guix

Ben Woodcroft <b.woodcroft@uq.edu.au> skribis:

> On 02/01/16 01:01, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Ben Woodcroft <b.woodcroft@uq.edu.au> skribis:
>>
>>> $ ./pre-inst-env guix environment --ad-hoc -C ruby
>> It works for me on GuixSD.
>>
>>> In execvp of fsck.none: No such file or directory
>>> 'fsck.none' exited with code 127 on /home/ben/git/guix; spawning REPL
>> This comes from ‘mount-file-system’ in (gnu build file-systems), called
>> from (gnu build linux-container).
>>
>> I suspect an ABI issue if you haven’t rebuilt since be21979d
>> (Dec. 22nd.)
>>
>> Could you run ‘make clean-go && make’ and then retry?
> You suspect correctly, all good. I'll make sure to do that in future
> before submitting a bug report.

Good to hear.  ABI breaks are infrequent but when they happen, people
building from Git had rather rebuild.

>> TIA, and happy GNU year!
> May all the bugs reported to you be false!

:-)

Thanks for your feedback,
Ludo’.