all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* not tarred source file
@ 2016-05-15 20:25 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-05-15 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello

after having successfully packaged (locally) the Zenburn theme and
Smartparens, I am preparing the package for clojure-mode

But for the first time it happens that the downloaded source code is not
tarred so tar fails and so does the unpack phase.

How do I instruct the origin object not to attempt untarring my source ?

* Re: not tarred source file
@ 2016-05-15 20:57 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-05-15 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Hi!

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:

> after having successfully packaged (locally) the Zenburn theme and
> Smartparens, I am preparing the package for clojure-mode
>
> But for the first time it happens that the downloaded source code is not
> tarred so tar fails and so does the unpack phase.
>
> How do I instruct the origin object not to attempt untarring my source ?

It’s OK if the ‘origin’ denotes a file that is not a tarball.

However, the build procedure will have to pay attention for that.  For
instance, the default sequence of phases of ‘gnu-build-system’ includes
an ‘unpack’ phase, which is inappropriate here:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Build-Systems.html

There are a couple of examples, e.g., paredit in emacs.scm.  Most of
them use ‘trivial-build-system’, which requires explicitly writing the
build/install operations.

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Re: not tarred source file
@ 2016-05-15 22:45   ` Ben Woodcroft
From: Ben Woodcroft @ 2016-05-15 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Hi there,

On 16/05/16 06:57, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> after having successfully packaged (locally) the Zenburn theme and
>> Smartparens, I am preparing the package for clojure-mode
>>
>> But for the first time it happens that the downloaded source code is not
>> tarred so tar fails and so does the unpack phase.
>>
>> How do I instruct the origin object not to attempt untarring my source ?
> It’s OK if the ‘origin’ denotes a file that is not a tarball.
>
> However, the build procedure will have to pay attention for that.  For
> instance, the default sequence of phases of ‘gnu-build-system’ includes
> an ‘unpack’ phase, which is inappropriate here:
>
>    https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Build-Systems.html
>
> There are a couple of examples, e.g., paredit in emacs.scm.  Most of
> them use ‘trivial-build-system’, which requires explicitly writing the
> build/install operations.
If it is a single file then I believe it is as simple as deleting the
unpack phase e.g. fasttree in bioinformatics.scm, I had thought it was
still good practice not to use the trivial build system where possible
as it omits some useful defaults.

ben

* Re: not tarred source file
@ 2016-05-16 11:02     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-05-16 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Woodcroft; +Cc: help-guix

Ben and Ludovic,

thank you

> Hi there,
>
> On 16/05/16 06:57, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:
>>
>> after having successfully packaged (locally) the Zenburn theme and
>>> Smartparens, I am preparing the package for clojure-mode
>>>
>>> But for the first time it happens that the downloaded source code is not
>>> tarred so tar fails and so does the unpack phase.
>>>
>>> How do I instruct the origin object not to attempt untarring my source ?
>>>
>> It’s OK if the ‘origin’ denotes a file that is not a tarball.
>>
>> However, the build procedure will have to pay attention for that.  For
>> instance, the default sequence of phases of ‘gnu-build-system’ includes
>> an ‘unpack’ phase, which is inappropriate here:
>>
>>    https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Build-Systems.html
>>
>> There are a couple of examples, e.g., paredit in emacs.scm.  Most of
>> them use ‘trivial-build-system’, which requires explicitly writing the
>> build/install operations.

Ludo, in fact, for my Zenburn theme package, I copied the build code from
the paredit package.

But then I noticed that other Emacs modules used the Emacs build system
instead of the trivial one.

> If it is a single file then I believe it is as simple as deleting the
> unpack phase e.g. fasttree in bioinformatics.scm, I had thought it was
> still good practice not to use the trivial build system where possible as
> it omits some useful defaults.

That's what I thought too. If there's a build system made on purpose for
Emacs modules, then that's the right module for me.

Now, Ben, I copied from the fasttree package for my clojure mode and this
is the relevant bit

  (build-system emacs-build-system)
  (inputs `(("emacs" ,emacs-no-x)))
  (arguments
   `(#:phases
     (modify-phases %standard-phases
                    (delete 'unpack))))

Now the build succeeds but 2 weird thing happen:

   1. in .guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/ there's a clojure mode
   autoloads file but there's NO clojure-mode file !

   So I would say that the build wasn't so successful !

   2. During the build lots of packages were downloaded, including Emacs.

   But I explicitly indicated emacs-no-x in the recipe.

   This didn't happen with Smartparens (that also used the Emacs build
   system).

   It's as if modifying the standard phases messed up the build process

Now, I could easily welcome Ludo's suggestion to use the trivial build
system as I did with the Zenburn theme

But I'd like to understand.

If there's anyone wiling to inspect my clojure-mode recipe, I can paste it
on pastebin or somewhere else.

* Re: not tarred source file
@ 2016-05-16 20:04   ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-05-16 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Ludovic Courtès (2016-05-15 23:57 +0300) wrote:

> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> after having successfully packaged (locally) the Zenburn theme and
>> Smartparens, I am preparing the package for clojure-mode
>>
>> But for the first time it happens that the downloaded source code is not
>> tarred so tar fails and so does the unpack phase.
>>
>> How do I instruct the origin object not to attempt untarring my source ?
>
> It’s OK if the ‘origin’ denotes a file that is not a tarball.
>
> However, the build procedure will have to pay attention for that.  For
> instance, the default sequence of phases of ‘gnu-build-system’ includes
> an ‘unpack’ phase, which is inappropriate here:

Specifically for this case Federico added 'uncompressed-file-fetch'
method.  Sorry, I forgot to answer at the time, so I answer here.  You
said it's a rare use case¹, but it is actually not.  Many elpa packages
are just single elisp files, so such method can be really useful.  I'm
going to switch our "trivial" emacs packages (paredit, let-alist and
magit-svn) to "emacs-build-system" using this method, if no one will do
it before me.

¹ http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-01/msg00378.html

--
Alex

* Re: not tarred source file
@ 2016-05-16 20:52     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-05-16 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès (2016-05-15 23:57 +0300) wrote:
>
>> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:
>>
>>> after having successfully packaged (locally) the Zenburn theme and
>>> Smartparens, I am preparing the package for clojure-mode
>>>
>>> But for the first time it happens that the downloaded source code is not
>>> tarred so tar fails and so does the unpack phase.
>>>
>>> How do I instruct the origin object not to attempt untarring my source ?
>>
>> It’s OK if the ‘origin’ denotes a file that is not a tarball.
>>
>> However, the build procedure will have to pay attention for that.  For
>> instance, the default sequence of phases of ‘gnu-build-system’ includes
>> an ‘unpack’ phase, which is inappropriate here:
>
> Specifically for this case Federico added 'uncompressed-file-fetch'
> method.

Indeed, I had forgotten about that one.

> Sorry, I forgot to answer at the time, so I answer here.  You said
> it's a rare use case¹, but it is actually not.  Many elpa packages are
> just single elisp files, so such method can be really useful.  I'm
> going to switch our "trivial" emacs packages (paredit, let-alist and
> magit-svn) to "emacs-build-system" using this method, if no one will
> do it before me.

Sounds reasonable!

Thanks,
Ludo’.