ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes: > taylanbayirli@gmail.com (Taylan Ulrich "Bayırlı/Kammer") skribis: > >> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes: > > [...] > >>> In what sense is it unsuitable? It’s OK to have a couple of patches, >>> but it’s not quite OK to host a fork of the upstream package, IMO (at >>> the very least, it can create confusion and make it harder to see how it >>> differs from the “real” package.) >> >> The repo is just for having a consistent place from which the source can >> be fetched, as the author doesn't want source bundles to be downloaded >> from his website. No changes to the code are made. >> >> The repo at GitLab didn't seem to tag releases properly. That being >> said, now that I look at it, it seems more like an oversight for v098. >> Other releases seem to be tagged quite consistently: >> >> https://gitlab.com/higan/higan/tags >> >> Should we use that repo instead? It's a bit more official than mine. > > Yes, I think it would be more appropriate. I contacted the maintainer of the repo and asked them to add a tag, which is done now. Note: apparently the author re-released 098 with a hotfix very soon after releasing it, without making a version change. In the repository, this is tagged as 098b, which I use here. I.e. this is not a true version update; we were already using "this 098". >>>> * The program insists on looking in ~/.local/share for some data files >>>> that are actually installed in $prefix/share; does my strategy here >>>> look OK, in that I wrap the executable to copy the data files into >>>> ~/.local/share every time the program is run? >>> >>> Sounds like a sledgehammer no? :-) >>> >>> If those files are immutable, what about patching Higan to look for >>> those files in $datadir instead? >> >> Apparently, the files that are part of the distribution are pure data >> files, i.e. fine to be read-only. However, the directory hierarchy of >> which they're a part needs to be writable, as higan creates further >> files there. With that cp -r, the directory hierarchy is made sure to >> be there, and the data files made sure to be up to date. >> >> Although I didn't look too closely at the sources, patching higan to do >> things differently would presumably be a nontrivial task, since it seems >> bent on doing things in terms of this directory structure that contains >> both pure data and read-write data files. > > Hmm OK. What do other distros do? More or less the same thing; it's sanctioned by the developers even though it's acknowledged not to be a particularly good solution. Here we see Arch do the same: https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/higan?h=packages/higan (Though this one seems to have a bug because they copy things to ~/Emulation instead of the new ~/.local/share. I'm confident that ~/.local/share is the right location in the latest release. Also for the cheats.bml file.) Here's a patch that, in addition to switching the repo, adds a patch removing a -march=native flag (which I assume would break cross-compilation), and passes the make flag "profile=balanced" to make higan less CPU intensive by emulating a bit less accurately (it was running too slow on my i5, so this should be a better default). I just saved a princess from an evil wizard with this so I can confirm it runs smooth now.