Ludovic Courtès writes: Hello Ludo, Timothy! Finally another version of the new bootstrap situation. Timothy, please have a look and feel free to change/add some things! It's also getting time to write a blog post on this, would you like to help out with that? >> * doc/guix.texi (@detailmenu): Add Bootstrapping menu. >> (Scheme-only Bootstrap): New node. >> * doc/images/gcc-core-mesboot0-scheme-only-graph.dot: New image. >> * doc/local.mk (DOT_FILES): Add it. > > Great! I wonder if we need a new section though. Do you think we could > just keep it all in a single bootstrapping section that would describe > the current state of affairs, possibly with a “Bootstrapping History” > section or similar that would describe the milestones that got us there? [..] > That way, the main bootstrapping section would simply describe the > current status in a standalone fashion. Thanks for your thoughts on this. I started to rework this by adding a History section but in the end I removed it again, describing the current situation while mentioning the gcc-triplet reduction in Guix v1.1. >> +@c >> +packages@footnote{@c >> +gash-boot, >> +gash-utils-boot, >> +%bootstrap-mes-rewired, >> +gzip-mesboot, > > I wouldn’t list them all here because (1) it’s hard to understand what > these names refer to, unless reading commencement.scm is your favorite > hobby ;-), and (2) it’s bound to become outdated. > > WDYT? Yes, instead of adding more of these, I also removed the previous list. >> +As Gash and Gash Utils mature, and GNU packages become more @Timothy: this is possibly touching very lightly on what Gash has brought us; do you want to share some more here? >> +bootstrappable (e.g., new releases of GNU Sed will also ship in [..] >> +@image{images/gcc-core-mesboot0-scheme-only-graph,6in,,Dependency graph of gcc-core-mesboot0} > > It would be nice to have a couple of lines commenting the graph, like: Sure! Updated version attached. Greetings, Janneke