Hello Simon, zimoun writes: > On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 at 10:42, Giovanni Biscuolo wrote: > >> Please consider I'm still on Emacs 26.3 since one package I use does not >> work with 27.1... and I still have not tested "the bug" in a pure >> anvironmentt with emacs 27.1 only > > Ouch! Which one is it? emacs-elfeed-org, bug #43243 I'm considering dismissing elfeed-org, it's useful but not unavoidable :-) >> I'm affected by that bug every time I do: >> >> 1. on machine A: start emacs --daemon >> 2. on machine B: ssh -Y me@A >> 3. on machine B: emacsclient -c (in ssh session) > > Sorry, I miss where this emacsclient is started? A or B? on machine B > If you start emacsclient on B and try to connect over SSH to the > server on A, which option do you provide? (naive question because I > have always failed to do that :-)) Sorry I don't understand the steps you are trying to reproduce: in the use case above I'm starting "emacsclient -c" from machine B when remotely connected via ssh (-Y) to machine A; I'm running emacsclient -c over ssh > Personally, I have 2 uses cases: > > i. > machine A: emacs --daemon > machine B: ssh -C me@A -t emacsclient -t "emacsclient -t" (over ssh) always works for me also, no crashes after disconnection (no X toolkit used in this case) > and I never do "ssh -CX me@A -t emacsclient -c" because the network is > usually too slow to export DISPLAY; machines A and B are usually a bit > far in my cases. I never tested using "Force pseudo-terminal" (-t) when connecting over ssh: I should try that! I usually use X forwarding over VPN over 4G connection: it's a little bit slow but usable. > ii. > machine B: start emacs --daemon > machine B: emacsclient -c > machine B: open via TRAMP over ssh on A > > And Tramp crashes time to time. Ouch: it never happens to me, I mean /ssh:.../ TRAMP method always works like a charm. Have you tried installing "emacs-tramp" package? I had some issue with the built-in emacs TRAMP and realized that emacs-tramp guix package is more up to date with upstream. >> AFAIU this bug is still affecting other Emacs users using GTK as X >> toolkit. > > Yeah, for sure. And as you noted too, it is difficult to know what is > the exact status of this bug. :-) Technically is closed but actually it should be "exausted" :-D [...] Ciao, Gio' -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures