all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
To: Felix Lechner via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System
	distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Cc: "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>, "Ian Eure" <ian@retrospec.tv>,
	"Felix Lechner" <felix.lechner@lease-up.com>
Subject: Re: Reducing "You found a bug" reports
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2024 22:40:09 +0200	[thread overview]

Felix Lechner via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 17 2024, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>
>> I’m fine removing the “report a bug” message [...] WDYT?
>
> Just a quick side note that some members in our community (not I) are
> offended by the word "bug" to describe software defects.  Perhaps here
> is a chance to replace it?

I'm a big fan of bugs (the crawling kind, and based on my track record
apparently also the other kind).  The traditional use is about *dead*
bugs gumming up the works.  There is no insecticidal connotation;
removing bugs from open (...free?) machines is a necessity because they
have an unfortunate propensity for getting themselves into crevices that
they can't get out of.  Poor things.

If I was to drop the term "bug" I'd only do it to spite Thomas Edison,
whose letter appears to be the first documented case of using the term
in association with engineering defects.

--
Ricardo, a gardener