all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#18581: icecat fails to build on i686
@ 2014-09-29  6:07 Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2014-09-29  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 18581

The icecat build on i686 broke with the last core-updates merge.
See:

  http://hydra.gnu.org/build/96557/log/tail-reload
  http://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/master/icecat-24.0.i686-linux

Some of the notable updates in that merge include:

  glibc-2.20
  gnutls-3.2.16
  libunistring-0.9.4
  libgc-7.4.2
  libffi-3.1

Here's a more complete list:

  http://hydra.gnu.org/eval/100725#tabs-new

     Mark

* bug#18581: icecat fails to build on i686
@ 2014-09-30 17:37 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2014-09-30 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 18581; +Cc: request

retitle 18581 IceCat fails to build on i686 and needs security updates
severity 18581 serious
thanks

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:
> The icecat build on i686 broke with the last core-updates merge.
> See:
>
>   http://hydra.gnu.org/build/96557/log/tail-reload
>   http://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/master/icecat-24.0.i686-linux

More importantly, the version of IceCat we are using is almost a year
old, with no security updates applied during that time.

We should update to IceCat 31, which is currently available only from
Trisquel, here:

  http://devel.trisquel.info/icecat/belenos/pool/main/i/icecat/icecat_31.0+gnu3.tar.gz

We also need security updates applied, notably the recent NSS signature
verification flaw: (CVE-2014-1568)

  http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q3/736
  https://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2014/mfsa2014-73.html

There may be other security patches as well.  I suggest looking on
mozilla.org for patches to version 31.

      Mark

* bug#18581: icecat fails to build on i686
@ 2014-09-30 18:02   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-09-30 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: 18581

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 01:37:08PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> More importantly, the version of IceCat we are using is almost a year
> old, with no security updates applied during that time.
>
> We should update to IceCat 31, which is currently available only from
> Trisquel, here:

This is a problem with the gnuzilla maintenance, which is possibly solved:
   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/2014-09/msg00008.html
Although the lack of news since September 11 is not encouraging.

Andreas

* bug#18581: IceCat fails to build on i686 and needs security updates
@ 2014-09-30 19:58     ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2014-09-30 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: 18581

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 01:37:08PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> More importantly, the version of IceCat we are using is almost a year
>> old, with no security updates applied during that time.
>>
>> We should update to IceCat 31, which is currently available only from
>> Trisquel, here:
>
> This is a problem with the gnuzilla maintenance, which is possibly solved:
>    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/2014-09/msg00008.html
> Although the lack of news since September 11 is not encouraging.

Jason Self spoke to the new IceCat maintainer (Rubén Rodríguez, also the
Trisquel BDFL), and reports that the current plan is to base IceCat on
the Firefox v31 Extended Support Release (ESR), to get security updates
from Mozilla, and also to get the patches from TorBrowser.  Rubén says
that he's almost done modifying his scripts for the FF31 ESR, at which
point we should be in good shape.

I also asked on #parabola to find out how they deal with this issue.
Apparently their IceCat is also old and unpatched, but they have scripts
to modify Debian's Iceweasel to comply with the FSDG here:

  https://projects.parabola.nu/abslibre.git/tree/libre/iceweasel

We might consider adding this to Guix as well.

     Thanks,
       Mark

* bug#18581: IceCat fails to build on i686 and needs security updates
@ 2014-09-30 22:03       ` Jason Self
From: Jason Self @ 2014-09-30 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 18581

Mark H Weaver said:
> I also asked on #parabola to find out how they deal with this issue.
> Apparently their IceCat is also old and unpatched, but they have
> scripts to modify Debian's Iceweasel to comply with the FSDG here:
>
>   https://projects.parabola.nu/abslibre.git/tree/libre/iceweasel
>
> We might consider adding this to Guix as well.

Also, Rubén's so-called "helper" script is available to the public. On
the GNUzilla Savannah project [0] hover over Source Code and select
either Use Git or Browse Sources Repository.

[0] http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnuzilla

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#18581: icecat fails to build on i686
@ 2014-10-12 21:23 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-10-12 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: 18581-done

Both the i686 and the security issues were fixed with the upgrade to
31.1.1 in commit 74c7af9, so closing this bug.

Thanks,
Ludo’.