George myglc2 Clemmer writes: > I want to speed up IceCat on my GuixSD headless server. I am using > XQuartz/MacOS over 1000BaseT to reach a server with 3.4GHz Intel E3-1240 > V3 CPU and SSD storage. ISTM this is about as fast as one can make a > headless server. But IceCat is unusably slow. So I wonder ... > > Do you run IceCat remotely from a GuixSD desktop and get good > performance? If so, please tell me about your setup. > > Would Wayland make it faster? > > Would an upgrade to a CPU w/GPU make it faster? > > TIA - George For what it's worth, I have run Firefox in similar situations (not involving GuixSD), and I have always found it to be un-usably slow over a remote X connection. I never bothered to try to make it faster; I'm intrigued that you were able to make it better at all. You may also consider doing the following to speed things up: - Use compression (e.g., "ssh -C") (helps quite a bit in some cases) - Limit the color palette to the fewest colors possible (helps a little) -- Chris