Ludovic Courtès writes: > I agree that this would be more accurate, but isn’t there also a risk > with making hints too long? I’m split between the idea of providing > concise hints that can be pasted and get things done, and the idea or > not trying to be a substitute for the manual. I agree the manual should be authoritative, but I also think that if Guix can provide contextual information, it's great when it does so. The "did you forget to add (use-module..." hints you added a while back are a great example of this. The shorter the better, of course. I think we're still waiting for Pierre to send his latest patch. If the text really is too long, perhaps we can provide concrete examples, a sentence explaining what they do, and a link to the manual, where we put the slightly more verbose explanation. I think the text so far is OK, but I also have not seen the final version yet. Pierre, what do you think? > Actually, I was also wondering whether we should provide a >configurable > mechanism that would, by default, automatically delete old GC roots and > maybe even run the GC automatically when needed—similar to what Git > does. I think it's a great idea to allow a user or system administrator to configure a policy for automatic GC root clean-up. I'm not sure about ad-hoc roots, but for profiles, it would be great to be able to say something like "Keep the last 2 generations, and delete any others that are older than 2 weeks". Perhaps we could enforce the policy any time that a user runs code that modifies the profiles, such as "guix package" commands. Of course, that's a little more than what is being proposed in this email thread, so it would probably be best to work on that separately. -- Chris