Ludovic Courtès writes: > Hi Pierre, > > I’m happy to discuss it further (to some extent at least, because there > are other patches waiting for us to be reviewed :-)), but first, as I > wrote in another message, I think the topic was not consensual and thus > the series wasn’t ready to be pushed. All the points have been addressed and I waited a period of 7 days. Beyond this consideration, it's such a small patch, it does not break anything for anyone, and we can always revert. >> Many command line tools print colors properly in M-x shell. I think >> it's a misfeature to disable them in Emacs; I don't see any benefits. > > I understand the Eshell use case. The shell-mode use case is one I’m > interested in keeping as-is, that is: disable colors when INSIDE_EMACS, > just like Coreutils, GNU grep, etc. do. But why? Colors used to work in Guix. Now they are gone in Eshell / M-x shell. It seems like a regression to me. >> I find that printing just 1 result to be of little use in general. >> So between printing all results and just 1, I have a preference for >> printing all results. But there are other solutions, see below. > > It’s not printing one result; it’s printing as many results as can fit > on the screen. It's usually just 1 or 2 results then :p > I understand all this. However, we’re not optimizing just for Eshell > and shell-mode; I was just fixing a bug that occured in Eshell / M-x shell, without impacting other users. > in fact, I’d argue that Emacs users should just use > Emacs-Guix (we need to add M-x guix-search, actually!). Emacs-Guix is not a drop-in replace for shell commands. For instance, guix search lets the user edit the results in an Eshell buffer. Besides, Emacs-Guix is not really in sync with Guix, e.g. the lack of channel support. > For regular terminals, I think the two options that work well are: > > 1. Print (by default) as much as fits on the screen. > > 2. Automatically start a pager. > > I went with option #1, which was submitted at > . The suggestion actually came > from Bruno Haible: . This is not changed by my patch. > Just to say that there’s already been some thought put into it, and we > have to carry the baggage of these past discussions now! We are, I'm just including further thinking into the process, that is, Emacs Eshell and M-x shell. Cheers! -- Pierre Neidhardt https://ambrevar.xyz/