Hi Ludovic and Florian Ludovic Courtès writes: > Hi Niels, > > Niels Felsted skribis: > >> I have have installed guix on a old laptop from. I dd'ed the iso file: >> >> guix-system-install-1.1.0rc2.i686-linux.iso >> >> on a usb stick, and booted from it. >> >> It boots directly into a ncurses gui, but the screen is distorted and >> it is not possible to read anything. I have attached an image showing >> the issue. > > Ouch, indeed. > >> I finished the install using the terminal on tty3. > > And tty3 displays fine, right? Yes tty3 displays fine > >> I have tested the current 1.0.1 iso also, and the ncurses gui looks >> fine there (though the actual install fails compiling some amdgpu >> package). > > OK. > >> The laptop is a Acer aspire 3680, with Intel Celeron cpu, 1.5gb ram >> and the following graphics card: >> >> ~$ lspci | grep -e "VGA" >> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03) > > I see. Could you boot the 1.1.0rc2 again and send us the > /var/log/messages file? (You can either do “herd start ssh-daemon” in > the image or run scp right from there, once networking is up, which > means you have to go to the networking dialog of the installer.) I have attached /var/log/messages > Florian, could it be uvesafb messing with the graphics card? And testing Florians suggestions: setting 'nomodeset' kernel parameter -> screen displays fine setting 'modprobe.blacklist=i915' kernel parameter -> screen displays fine As mentioned before, I did manage to install guix via tty3 (without setting any kernel parameters), and it boots up fine with gdm3/xfce4. So it is only the initial boot from the install iso that's distorted. br Niels Felsted