Ludovic Courtès writes: >> I haven't dared submitting 'disable-version-symlinks.patch' yet, >> mainly because I struggled to find a clean way to conditionally >> override Automake variables, ref >> >> >> (there is a reply from Karl Berry in 2020-07) > > I think another option would be something like this (beware!): > > pkglibdir = > if USE_VERSION_LINKS > pkglibdir += foo > else > pkglibdir += bar > endif That's clever, but unfortunately did not work because the += adds an extra whitespace between entries. So in this case $(pkglibdir) would expand to ' bar', which may or may not work depending on whether the usage is quoted. For things like $(bindir), install-binSCRIPTS unfortunately quotes the entries. Tricky stuff! >>> Apart from that, on a cursory look it LGTM! >> >> Awesome, I was able to do some more testing today and expect to push >> this in a couple of days. > > Yay! I've made lots of tweaks recently, such as adding default hooks for debootstrap so that basic things work out of the box. Finally pushed now, and I intend to publish the blog post tomorrow. One step closer to worl^W datacenter domination. \o/