Hi Hartmut, Hartmut Goebel writes: > Hi., > > these day I had spent some more hours struggling with rust ans cargo, > trying to get "pre-built" crates. > > Summery; Cargo is cruft, no solution found yet. > > I tried reusing a crate from the very same place it was built (see > enclosed script). Anyhow, this does not work since cargo uses a > different "metadata" value, even if noting changed. Based in the > verbose output (cargo build -v …) I assume that some parameters of the > "destination" build get included into this value. > > This meets another observation; when building the sequoia suite, > several crates are build several times - even if all builds are > performed in the same environment. > > Rust's build system is such a cruft - I really would like to throw it > where it belongs: into the trash. I've also tried to naively copy prebuilt rlibs at their expected cached location to see if rust would reuse them, but they didn't seem to; see the patch below if you are curious. There was a 'build-plan' feature in cargo that made it output Makefiles but it's not been under active development and will probably be removed. [0] There's an issue demanding support in Cargo to allow reusing pre-built libraries (last comment is mine) [1]. [0] https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/issues/7614 [1] https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/issues/1139