all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org>
To: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>, help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: cannot boot from microSD card on aarch64 machine
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 10:19:20 -0800	[thread overview]

On 2022-03-02, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> I got myself a rockpro64 board.
> So I then decided to build my own system and install a new u-boot onto
> the microSD card.  Here’s the system I built:
>   (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
>                (bootloader u-boot-rockpro64-rk3399-bootloader)
>                ;; SD card/eMMC (SD priority) storage
>                (target "/dev/mmcblk1")))

You need to leave a pretty generous gap at the partition table of your
microSD, either a GPT partition table with various partitions for the
various u-boot bits:

  http://opensource.rock-chips.com/wiki_Partitions

or an MBR partition table with the first partition starting at sector
32768, and the previous sectors empty.

Otherwise, the u-boot installation may clobber parts of your partition
table or vice-versa.

Also, if you have a different u-boot installed to SPI or eMMC, those
will take priority over microSD on most rockchip platforms.

>   (kernel linux-libre)
>   (kernel-arguments
>    (list "console=ttyS2")) ; UART2 connected on the Pi2 bus

I assume you're using a serial console. The rockchip platforms usually
default 1500000 for baud ... usually I use:

  screen /dev/ttyUSB0 1500000

Oh, now that I think about it, you might also want to set the speed for
your console in kernel-arguments:

   (kernel-arguments
    (list "console=ttyS2,1500000"))

> Does it perhaps install the u-boot files at the wrong offsets?  How
> would I begin to debug this?

It is also entirely possible something is wrong with rockpro64 u-boot
offsets or u-boot itself ... been a while since I've tested.

live well,
  vagrant